FALMOUTH Town reached the first qualifying round of the Axa sponsored FA Cup after a comfortable performance against Bristol Manor Farm of the Screwfix Western Division One League.

Town started brightly in the first quarter of an hour with Justin Ashburn's third minute shot being tipped wide by visiting 'keeper Ian Ganfield. This sparked a series of corners that gave the visitors some cause for concern and the pressure nearly told as Darren Burchell seized upon a poor clearance. His sizzling 30 yard volley flew just inches wide of the target with the 'keeper well beaten.

As Town probed the visiting defence so cracks began to appear, Steve Proctor exploiting the space to produce a curling 25 yarder with the 'keeper having to be at his best to prevent the goal.

The visitors began to settle as they got to grips with Town's style of play, but Town still enjoyed the lion's share of possession.

The only moment of concern for Falmouth in the first half was when Craig Chappell surged into the box after being fed by Shaun Curtis' through ball. Spike White was out well to block and snuff out the opportunity.

Damien Stevens had two scoring chances within a couple of minutes of each other, but the first half ended goalless with the Western Leaguers much happier with the scoreline.

Of the two teams Manor Farm were the quicker out of the blocks at the start of the second period with White saving Steve Rich's 46th minute effort and then smothering the ball at the feet of Gary Beale, with the midfielder well placed.

Town weren't long in coming around and in the 50th minute Burchell's 30 yard drive was parried by the 'keeper and then scrambled clear.

Town took the lead in the 59th minute and didn't look back. Captain Rob Troon drove a long ball up through the centre of the pitch which Steve Proctor controlled well, then slipped a pass to Ashburn. The experienced midfielder produced a precision cross into the six yard box where Damien Stevens was on hand to open the scoring.

Leon Massie, returning from a knee injury, replaced Lee Oldfield midway through the second half and was soon at work. Just a minute after coming on Massie demonstrated some delightful control and took off on a run into the box. In a similar fashion to the first goal, the striker knocked in a cross from the right into the six yard box. This time Ashburn was present to apply the finishing touch from close range.

Shaun Curtis, Manor Farm's best player of the match, had three attempts upon goal in a ten minute spell following Town's second goal. He drilled his 72nd minute effort well over and, well placed, could only poke the ball into White's arms, who had to be alert to produce a diving save from the forward's towering header in the 82nd minute of play.

Town were good value for their win and will now be at home to Evesham who defeated Brislington 3-2 in their replay on Tuesday evening.

This coming Saturday Town host Bristol Manor Farm once more. This time the competition is the FA Carlsberg Vase, the stage being the first qualifying round. Kick-off is 3pm with extra-time if necessary.

Town: G. White, R. Pope, W. Brown, L. Oldfield (L.Massie 67mins), R. Troon, S. Coggin, D. Burchell, D. Stevens, J. Ashburn, S. Proctor, K. Turner. Subs not used: D. Keen, E. Dunn.