A MAN was rescued from his smoke-filled property after a fire broke out last night.

Emergency services rushed to The Mount in Taunton at 8.15pm yesterday evening (Tuesday, February 13) after receiving a call from the member of the public saying his home was on fire and he was unable to get out.

On arrival firefighters confirmed there was smoke issuing from the property with a man still inside.

The brave Taunton firefighters quickly got to work, and using breathing apparatus entered the home and brought out the distressed resident, and extinguishing the blaze with a hose reel jet.

The man was given first aid as he was suffering smoke inhalation and then treated by ambulance crews.