Toolstation First Division

Wellington 2 Chard 5

WELLINGTON led for an hour at a wet and boggy North Street on Monday before Chard came back to take the spoils with a stunning and goal-laden last half-hour, writes Kerry Miller.

The home side had no answer to the Robins after the break as they used the width of the pitch to perfection with Ed Butcher in a class of his own with an all-round performance only ended by a leg injury minutes from time.

It was Butcher who went close in the first real attack when he shot wide on the run and it looked as though the omens were against Adam Fricker’s side when Darren Hutchings limped off to be replaced by Max Westlake within ten minutes.

Wellington tried to take advantage with two of the four brothers in the side, Connor and Sam Bryant, testing Jason Hutchings in the same attack but they were denied.

Andy Martin then landed a corner on to the top of the net which was a precursor for what happened after the break before, in an end to end half, Luke Redrup was through but Hutchings was brave at his feet.

It took a setpiece on the half-hour to break the deadlock when Ian Bellinger’s free-kick was swung in and Sam Bryant volleyed home from close range.

Chard retaliated with Butcher setting up Braeden Symes whose drive was saved by home keeper Greg Turner then Butcher himself was close after more fine work.

Bellinger then brought a flying tip-over from Hutchings at the start of the second half but after Leigh Bailey and Symes had gone close, Chard took over on the hour and Welly had no answer.

Martin’s corner was too much for the defence and Bailey crashed through to nod home from a yard, then Butcher’s brilliant cross was on a plate for Scott Holland to volley the second two minutes later.

Westlake brought a flying save out of Turner which seemed to briefly galvanise Wellington who came back with an equaliser from Tim Legg but Martin’s corner minutes later brought an identical outcome as the unstoppable Bailey nodded home from a yard out again.

Butcher again tormented the left flank and pulled a ball back for Symes to drill under Turner for the fourth and he then got the goal he so deserved from yet another corner with the home defence shell-shocked having conceded five goals in 25 minutes.

Wellington welcome Hengrove Athletic to North Street on Saturday (April 2) hoping to end a run of eight games without a league win.

Their current form has seen Clive Jones’ side slip to 14th in Western League Division One, while Hengrove sit in ninth place having won their last five games in the league.

Saturday’s game is a 3pm kick-off.

Wellington: Greg Turner, Luke Bryant, Scott Drayton, Kai Fisher, Tom Ellis, Sam Bryant, Jack Bryant, Tim Legg, Luke Redrup, Connor Bryant, Ian Bellinger. Subs: Jamie Fleet, Sam Jones, Josh Pearson.