MINEHEAD travelled to Portishead on Tuesday evening for a Somerset Division 1W encounter, in the knowledge they had beaten the league leaders on their own ground in a cup match last month.

On this occasion, however, the bigger home players were too good for a weakened Minehead side, preserving their 100 per cent league record with a comfortable 3-0 victory.

Minehead started brightly enough, with quick feet and crisp passing on the good playing surface but, after a fairly even first 20 minutes, Portishead scored two quick goals which put them in control.

Defender James Clarke nipped through a well-populated penalty area to beat Sam Tarr to the ball, stabbing home from six yards, and it was a flick-on from a corner four minutes later that gave Dan Elson the opportunity to head home powerfully, again from six yards out, to put the home side two up.

Minehead came back strongly with a 30-yarder from Aaron Ireton which went just wide, a powerful left-footed drive from Harry Scatchard which the keeper did well to keep out and, towards the end of the first half, the busier of the two keepers, George Shanks Boon, tipped over a goal-bound curler from Mike Mullen.

Again, the second period started evenly but, just before the hour mark, it was Elson again who did the damage, scoring from a central position to put the game out of Minehead’s reach.

Further chances were created at both ends and Mike Graddon saw a fierce drive hit the woodwork with Boon well beaten, but the mountain was too high for the Blues.

Minehead: Sam Tarr, Matty Ronan, Andy Gubb, Mike Mullen, Chris Newbold, Luke Howells, Harry Scatchard, Aaron Ireton, Robert Vickers, Mike Graddon, Callum Barnfield. Sub: Andrew Land, Brad Martin (both used).


Last Saturday Minehead suffered a 1-0 loss to Middlezoy Rovers in the Premier/Division 1 Cup.

Hosts Minehead fell behind on 25 minutes, failing to clear a corner and seeing centre half Shaun Turner powerfully head home.

The home side pressed for an equaliser, but it would not come. Robert Vickers hit the crossbar, Luke Bloys had a shot saved and Mike Mullen passed up a great chance in the dying minutes of the match, getting in behind the defence but shooting wide.