Somerset Division 1W
Glastonbury 0, Minehead 1

MINEHEAD travelled to Glastonbury on Saturday hoping to inflict a league double over their hosts, but it was the home side who seemed to get to grips with the heavy conditions quickest.

Two mistakes in defensive positions saw opportunities presented to home forwards in the opening quarter of an hour, but both were taken hastily and missed the target.

Minehead settled down but the only attempts on goal were shots from distance by Harry Scatchard and Max Smith, both over the bar.

The second half saw Minehead start to impose themselves, and the best move of the match so far saw Callum Barnfield, Smith and Luke Howells combine well, but the latter’s shot went over.

Howells then saw his close-range shot saved on the line, and went close soon after.

The Blues continued to press, and the award of a free-kick in a central position enabled Stefan Phillips to beat the defensive wall and the keeper from 25 yards to put the visitors in front.

Three substitutions saw the visitors continue to dominate the game, but they were not able to add to their tally.

Minehead: Nathan Sheehan, Callum Barnfield, Luke Bloys, Mike Mullen, Chris Newbold, Harry Scatchard, Stefan Phillips, Aaron Ireton, Damion Redman, Max Smith, Luke Howells. Substitutes: Guy Burns, Robert Vickers, Mike Graddon (all used), Matty Ronan.

The Blues return to Irnham Road this Saturday when they entertain basement club Congresbury (ko 3pm).


Taunton & District League Division 3
Minehead Reserves 3, Galmington Dragons 0

MINEHEAD hosted second-placed Galmington Dragons, reversing the away result from November and earning an outside chance of the runners-up spot.

Minehead played some lovely flowing football from the start, and the midfield of Matt Cracknell and Karl Boswell were strong in front of the back three of Toby Morris, Sean Meade and Charlie Thomas.

Braden Taylor and Andy Pope had great energy levels supporting both attack and defence, and it was from here that Connery Attwell picked up the ball out wide.

His left-footed cross was met by the soaring Brad Martin to put Minehead ahead halfway through the half.

Minehead continued to press and Roly Kirkbride made a fine run and slotted home for 2-0 at half time.

Minehead continued in the same vein in the second half and Kirkbride scored his third goal in two games when he drove the ball home from the edge of the box.

Minehead return to action on March 25, away to lowly Exmoor Rangers.

Man of the match: Matt Cracknell

Minehead: Nat Leader, Toby Morris, Sean Meade, Charlie Thomas, Andy Pope, Braden Taylor, Karl Boswell, Matt Cracknell, Connery Attwell, Roly Kirkbride, Brad Martin. Subs: Conner Jones, Daniel Vickers (both used).