Cornwall & Devon
Bude 21, Wellington 27

BUDE were a bit of bogey side for Wellington last season and it looked as though history may repeat itself when the hosts had what looked like a commanding lead with 15 minutes to go, writes Allyn Chetland.

However, the R&Bs dug deep to find the extras to eventually take the spoils in a nerve jangling encounter.

Playing up the slope and against the elements, the visitors soon found themselves facing the expected forward offensive onslaught by the hosts. 

Bude’s opening converted try came via their three quarters, a try the R&Bs will have been disappointed to concede. 

Full-back Alex Davey replied with a penalty for the R&Bs after Bude had infringed in front of their posts following a fine run by winger Tyler Hart.

Further opportunities were created by the R&Bs but these opportunities were lost, and Bude extended their lead via another converted try 10 minutes before the end of the half following a period of sustained forward pressure to take a 14-3 lead into the break. 

Playing down the slope, the away side started brightly and their efforts were rewarded when Hart crossed after a fine break by centre Ben Gamlin - Davey made no mistake with the extra points. 

A lapse in concentration immediately after this try allowed Bude to score their third converted try following an attacking line out, extending their lead to 21 -10 in the process with 15 minutes of the game remaining. 

At this point it seemed like the writing was on the wall for the R&Bs but, to their immense credit, the team dug deep to turn the match on its head. 

Second row Regan Walker powered over for a deserved try following an excellent attack involving most of the team, and Davey coolly slotted the extras to reduce the arrears to 21-17. 

Hart then produced a superb piece of skill as he picked up a pass at full pace from his boot laces to leave numerous would be tacklers in his wake and score under the posts for his second try of the match. 

Davey again made no mistake with the extra points to give the R&Bs a 21-24 lead. 

Momentum was now with Wellington and they nearly scored a fourth try but had to be content with a penalty from Davey after Bude once again infringed in front of their posts. 

Bude rallied for a late final surge but this was repelled by the R&Bs for an excellent, hard-fought and exciting win.

Next week, the R&Bs entertain Hayle at The Athletic Ground (ko 2.30pm). 

Team: R.Marke, H.Tredwin, L.Wadham, R.Walker, W.Hinchcliffe, L.Phillips, H.Ramsay, M.Norman, C.Jenkinson, P.Jarman(C), C.Batts, G.Hodgson, B.Gamlin, T.Hart, A.Davey, J.Hancock, T.Jenkinson, M.Walker

Somerset 2S
Wiveliscombe 2nd XV 15, Castle Cary 1st XV 34

WIVELISCOMBE gave a spirited performance against top-of-the-table Castle Cary, who are unbeaten this season, writes Roger Bellamy.

The home team started well and were 5-0 up within ten minutes. The ball was spread wide to the top touchline where winger Jamie Harvey outpaced the visitors' defence to score in the corner.

Castle Cary looked strong with ball in hand with their captain, John Clay, marshalling his team well. 

He was next on the scoreboard after showing good pace to evade the home tacklers to cross near the posts. 

He converted to put his team 7-5 in the lead.

The home team were creating good field positions and George Rowe showed good skills to grubber along the bottom touchline from half-way and win the chase to score Wivey's second try.

However, Castle Cary responded with a period of pressure and were rewarded with their second try through Freddie Duke Williams.

Half-time arrived with the home team leading 15-12 after they had scored another wide out try after the visitors' defence had been outnumbered.

Playing down the slope in the second half, the visitors held the upper hand keeping the home team pinned in their territory for long periods.

Wiveliscombe did have the odd opportunity but could not add to their first-half tally as Liam Atkins, Fred Loxton and Charlie Agdo scored tries for the visitors, Atkins adding two conversions and a penalty.

Wiveliscombe 1st XV return to Somerset Premier action on Saturday when they welcome Nailsea & Backwell (ko 2.15pm).

The 2nd XV travel to Burnham-on-Sea 2nd XV.