TAUNTON Town manager Leigh Robinson expressed his satisfaction with the Peacocks' cup efforts this year, as their FA Trophy run was ended at the first round stage by Bognor Regis Town on Saturday.

The home side led through Les Afful's goal, but four second-half strikes (three of them in the last 10 minutes) won it for the Rocks.

The Peacocks began the second period well, and Afful had another effort well saved, before Matt Buse passed up a good opportunity after Omar Simpson's run and cut-back.

Robinson said: "For an hour we did really well, we were 1-0 up and had a great chance to go 2-0 up, but they equalised on the counter-attack.

"Especially in cup games, goals change games, and that was the turning point. 

"We've just said in the dressing room that in the last couple of seasons, the games we've had against Conference South teams we've always been the most clinical team on the day, and today we weren't.

"They were more clinical than us, and that's the game."

The Taunton boss replaced centre-back Chris McGrath with Ollie Chamberlain after the equaliser, a gamble which could have paid off but ultimately the visitors thrived on the extra space that opened up. 

Robinson said: "The last two replays we've had, against Totton and Beaconsfield, we've won, but we went there with bare bones.

"So we had half an eye on avoiding the replay, so we wanted to push on and gamble, which we did, and against a good side on the counter-attack we got caught out - but no complaints."

In terms of the positives, Robinson was able to rotate his squad and freshen things up after a sluggish performance against Cinderford last Tuesday.

He said: "Ollie [Chamberlain] has been struggling with his groin a bit, and it was a heavy pitch today, while Dan Sullivan being away [at a wedding] was unfortunate as he's been huge for us recently.

"But it was a good time to give Omar [Simpson] and Les [Afful] a run, as Les has contributed a lot, in this competition in particular, and he got the goal today."

The Peacocks can now focus on their league campaign, and turning a 13-point lead into promotion at the end of the season.

The manager said: "In many ways, before today we'd already won, because we have the cup wins and the prize money in the bank, so today was always going to be a little bit of a bonus.

"We've had a hectic, hectic schedule in the last six weeks or so, and you could see on Tuesday night [against Cinderford] that was creeping up on us.

"We're desperate to avoid the fatigue that affected us last season, and priority number one is to win the league."

They are scheduled to host Wimborne Town this Tuesday (December 19, ko 7.45pm), but the pitch may not be playable, with an inspection set to take place on Tuesday morning.

Robinson added: "It might be a struggle [to play Wimborne].

"It's very wet down in the bottom corner, so we'll see how that goes.

"But if it's off, that gives us an opportunity for a rest, which we haven't had for the last six weeks."