Toolstation Western League
Les Phillips Cup second round
Bridgwater Town 5, Wellington AFC 3

WELLINGTON were unable to repeat their heroics against Bridgwater Town on Boxing Day, as former Tangerines striker Jack Taylor led his new team to victory in an eight-goal encounter that saw them progress to the Les Phillips Cup quarter-finals.

Taylor gave the hosts a very early lead at Fairfax Park, converting Jake Llewellyn's cross on what was the hosts' first attack.

But within five minutes the away side were level, as Glen Wright pounced on a defensive error to fire in from 20 yards.

Josh White saw a header saved for the Robins, and it was Wellington who took the lead on 24 minutes, as a long throw reached Joe Chamberlain, who smashed into the net.

But the home response was a good one, as White saw another header cleared off the line, and then Dave Pearse equalised with a shot on the turn from Kurt Robinson's low centre.

It was still 2-2 at half time, but just four minutes after the break the hosts were ahead, thanks to a super volley from Llewellyn from 20 yards out.

Then, just before the hour, Jack Jenkins looked to have wrapped things up with a brilliant free-kick into the top corner to make it 4-2.

Yet five minutes later Wellington were right back in it, as a counter-attack ended with Sam Towler - the object of a transfer bid from Bridgwater - side-footing home.

The visitors pressed for an equaliser, but the last laugh went to the Robins, as they broke away down the right through Taylor, who squared for substitute Syd Camper to net the decisive goal in added time.

Wellington are in Somerset Premier Cup action tomorrow (Wednesday, ko 7.30pm), at home to Clevedon Town, before a return to league action on Saturday - away to Bitton (ko 3pm).


Toolstation Western League
Les Phillips Cup second round
Bitton 3, Bishops Lydeard 0

BISHOPS Lydeard were also knocked out of the Les Phillips Cup on Saturday, as the First Division side succumbed to Bitton, who are 10th in the Premier Division.

The hosts were on top from the start, and after several early chances they took the lead through Luke Bryan's header from a corner.

Jordan Walker made it 2-0 from another corner, and Reeko Best wrapped things up in the second half, although the visitors did put in an improved performance after the break.

Lydeard, ninth in the First Division standings, entertain 16th-placed Calne Town on Saturday (ko 3pm).


IN the Somerset County League, Premier Division strugglers Staplegrove were undone 3-0 at home by Middlezoy Rovers on Saturday.

Jordan Williams, Adam Long and Callum Laird netted the visitors' goals.

Second-bottom Grove host 11th-placed Wrington Redhill this coming Saturday (ko 2.30pm).

Watchet Town had better fortune, winning 2-1 against a determined Ilminster Town side.

The hosts took the lead through Taylor Jefferson, but Watchet fought back and claimed the points thanks to Aaron Deeks and Charley Clausen.

The Red & Blacks, still third in the table, go to Clutton, who are 14th, on Saturday (ko 2.30pm).

In Division 1 West, Minehead AFC's promotion hopes suffered a major blow as they lost 3-1 at home to fellow contenders Uphill Castle.

The Blues had not lost since October, but they fell behind to Jordan Elliot's tap-in, only for Mike Graddon to equalise.

But two goals after half time - a Dan Harvey penalty and Elliot's curler - won it for Uphill.

Tomorrow Minehead go to Street Reserves (ko 7.30pm), and on Saturday they're off to Berrow & Highbridge (ko 2.30pm).