Somerset County League Premier Division

Watchet Town 5, Ilminster Town 0

WATCHET stretched their unbeaten league run to 14 games last Thursday with a second resounding midweek win -  this time by five goals without reply against Ilminster Town.

A mixture of wasteful finishing and some fine goalkeeping kept Watchet down to a single goal lead at half-time before they eased to victory after the break with four more strikes.

Aerron Clausen shot inches wide of the far post in the first minute and was denied by a stop at the near post soon afterwards after being supplied by Tom Sparks, who was causing the visiting defence all manner of problems.

Billy Jones, Charley Clausen and Sparks were all thwarted by the keeper and there were a number of scrambles inside the area where Watchet seemed certain to score before Sparks gave them the lead with a first time sidefoot into the corner following Chris Sully’s run and squared pass.

Another Sparks shot shaved the upright after good work from Eben Harding and there were other chances, with the Red & Blacks unable to direct headers on target from corners.

More squandered opportunities arose at the start of the second half as Watchet stayed on top before two goals in quick succession sealed the points.

A home move seemed to have broken down until Charley Clausen took the ball, cut in at angle and swept his shot high into the far corner beyond the keeper.

Minutes later Ben Robinson delivered an inviting free kick from the right for Billy Jones to meet with a thumping header to make it 3-0.

Substitute Aaron Deeks was next to get in on the act, receiving a byline cut-back from Jones to wrongfoot a defender and roll his shot inside the far upright.

Harding shot straight at the keeper while, on the opposite flank, another strong run from Robinson saw him pick out Sully on the edge of the area but his first time effort was too close to the keeper.

Ilminster were struggling to keep their hosts at bay and the nap hand was completed when Sparks was tormentor in chief again, teeing up Jones for a left foot finish.

Jones unselfishly opted to pass to teenage debutant Oli Jones soon afterwards when he might have tried for his hat-trick, only for the young substitute to be foiled by the keeper’s save as the score remained 5-0.

Watchet Town: A Bishop, B Robinson, M Heywood, J Milton, E Harding, C Sully, J Worth, C Clausen, A Clausen, A Deeks, T Sparks. Subs: A Deeks, C Shopland & O Jones (all used).

There’s no let up in the hectic schedule for Watchet, who play back-to-back matches this weekend.

Bridgwater Town Reserves visit the Memorial Ground on Saturday (3pm) followed by Shirehampton on Sunday (1.30pm).

Watchet then visit Nailsea & Tickenham next Thursday (May 3) at 6.45pm.

IN Division 1W, Minehead have had a successful midweek with two wins in three days, both by 4-2 scorelines.

Somerset Division 1W

Minehead 4, Burnham Utd 2

MINEHEAD took on Burnham for the first time this season on Tuesday evening.

They tore into a seemingly unassailable lead within the first 15 minutes with Luke Bloys, Rob Vickers and Mike Graddon all scoring well-taken goals.

Burnham pulled one back just before half-time through Joe Selway, who rounded Sam Tarr and scored into the empty net.

The game became feisty and, after Mike Graddon was sent off after receiving two yellow cards, Jack Cherry pulled another back for Burnham with an opportunist volley from the edge of the box.

With under ten minutes of normal play remaining, Guy Burns settled the Blues’ nerves when his deflected shot beat Will Lamb to make it 4-2 . . . but there was still time for Matty Ronan to also be shown two yellow cards after coming on as a late substitute.

The Blues followed up with a 4-2 win at Congresbury on Thursday night.

A spell of four games in an eight-day period will be concluded on Saturday when they visit Burnham for a re-match, hoping to match Tuesday’s result.