Western Counties (W)
Crediton 13, Wellington 12 

WELLINGTON made the short journey to Crediton last Saturday for their first away game of the season, writes Allyn Chetland.

The R&Bs started well and went on to dominate throughout the first period, the hosts relying on their impressive defensive structure to keep Wellington at bay.

In the final minutes of the half, the Crediton pack crashed over for a try in what was the hosts only real meaningful visit into The R&Bs half. 

The second half was a more even affair but it was the R&Bs who looked the more dangerous with ball in hand. 

A converted try midway through the half saw Wellington edge ahead but, soon after, a missed tackle saw Crediton score an unconverted try to regain the lead. 

Crediton doubled their efforts and were awarded a penalty for a late tackle which was duly taken to increase their lead to 13-7.

Wellington were not done and spent the final five minutes camped on Crediton’s line looking for the converted try that would bring them victory.

After a series of scrums and attacking lineouts, the R&Bs crossed for their second try of the match - but the touchline conversion attempt went agonisingly wide.

Newcomer Rob Hooper scored both of the tries for the R&Bs, with full-back Alex Davey converting one.

A first loss in 12 months for the R&Bs but, despite the result, the team can take pride from this performance and a lot of confidence going into the next game.

On Saturday, Wellington welcome Falmouth to The Athletic Ground (3pm).

Squad: J.Richards, J.Dyke, R.Marke, R.Walker, C.Kitto, D.Lee, L.Phillips, C.Venn, C.Jenkinson, G.Hodgson, T,Hart, C.Batts, R,Hooper, N.Pitman, A.Davey, W.Hinchcliffe, O.Price, P.Jarman (c)

Somerset Premier
Bristol Harlequins 11, Wiveliscombe 19

WIVELISCOMBE played well enough in the first half to just about take the honours in this Somerset Premier match in Bristol but were pushed all the way by a competent home team who fought back in the second half, writes Roger Bellamy.

The visitors had the upper hand early on, forcing Harlequins to give away penalties at rucks and mauls – full-back Dan Quick converted one to give his team the lead. 

Wivey went 10-0 up with the best move of the game, as Quick caught the ball from a speculative home kick before making good ground to evade several home tackles. Sam Gibbs crossed from the opposite side of the pitch to receive a try-scoring pass and Quick converted. 

Another successful two penalties gave Wivey a comfortable 16-0 advantage, but Harlequins had their moments and were rewarded with a penalty of their own before half-time.

Wiveliscombe had to dig deep on several occasions early in the second half but a fourth Quick penalty gave the visitors a a 19-3 lead. 

The home team raised their game spending long periods in Wivey territory. Priddy slotted his second penalty to reduce the gap to 19-6.

Wivey’s fitness was tested in the final quarter but they limited the home team to one more score, a try from forward George Clutterbuck. 

Wiveliscombe’s new faces all had their moments in a hard-earned win.

Flanker Lewis Manning caught the eye, as did second rows Tom Osmond and Rory Stone. 

The Ellis brothers, Matt and Will, looked as powerful as ever and centre Ted Keay looked solid throughout, also putting in a good stint at scrum-half.

On Saturday, Wivey host Old Redcliffians 2nds.

Somerset 2 South
Wiveliscombe 2nds 12, Burnham-on-sea 2nds 17

WIVELISCOMBE fielded a youthful team in this Somerset 2 South game at the Rec. 

The home team struggled to put continuity into their play throughout the game but did manage to cross for two tries, Ashley Scott and Eoghan Westoff claiming the touch downs - Hugh Harris added one conversion. 

Wiveliscombe obtain one league point for finishing within seven points of their opponents.

On Saturday, Wivey 2nds travel to Chard 2nds.

WIVELISCOMBE Past Players and Vice-Presidents lunch will take place on Saturday, September 29. Contact Roger Bellamy for more – 01984 624191/rogjackbellamy@gmail.com.