Western Counties (W)
Wellington 29, Tiverton 23 

TIVERTON made the short trip up to The Athletic Ground last Saturday full of confidence after a fine win the previous weekend whereas The R&Bs were still smarting from the loss away at St.Austell, writes Allyn Chetland.

Playing with the wind in their favour, the R&Bs made an excellent start and soon crossed for the opening try of the game via the impressive Chris Kitto after a series of forward drives on the visitors’ line.

Full-back Alex Davey was successful with extra points. 

Further pressure by the R&Bs ensued after some quick and deft handling winger Nev Pitman outpaced his opposite number to score wide out.
Davey was just wide with the touch line conversion.

Tiverton were stung into action following these two quick scores and replied with a converted try of their own following an extend period of pressure by their pack to reduce the arrears to 12-7. 

Further pressure by the visitors saw their forwards via a rolling a maul trundle towards the home line and a try seemed a certainty, but Kitto produced some magic to rip the ball from the visitors hands - the ball was quickly transferred wide and Ash Harney scorched in for a 95m try which Davey converted.

Buoyed by this breakaway score, the hosts went straight back on the offensive and, following some outstanding attacking play, Pitman crossed for his second and his team bonus point try with Davey making no mistake with the conversion. 

In the dying minutes of the half, Tiverton were awarded a penalty which was duly placed between the posts to make the half-time score 26-10 to Wellington.

Playing against the elements in the second half, Wellington could not really get any continuity into their play and were frustrated throughout this period.

Tiverton used the elements well and made the far less mistakes. The visitors soon reduced the arrears again with another penalty which was quickly followed by a converted try after Wellington were reduced to 14 men for 10 minutes.

At 26-20 the nerves started to jangle for the R&Bs but these nerves were eased somewhat when Davey coolly slotted a penalty after Tiverton had been penalised in front of their posts. 

Tiverton came back once more and were successful with another penalty in the dying minutes of the game to take a losing bonus point back to Devon. 

As the saying goes “it was game of two halves” but on their first half performance alone the R&Bs deserved the win.

Andrew Bellamy and Will Brewer had good games in their first starts of the season for the 1st XV, Vinny Gordon had a good game in the centre whilst winger Ash Harney was a thorn in Tiverton’s side all afternoon.

Neither the 1st or 2nd XV’s are in action on Saturday.

Squad: J.Richards, A.Bellamy, R.Marke R.Walker, C.Kitto, D.Lee, L.Phillips, W.Hinchcliffe, W.Brewer, P.Jarman(c), G.Hodgson, V.Gordon, C.Batts, N.Pitman, A.Davey, S.Kiddle, J.Hancock, T.Jenkinson

Somerset Premier
Wiveliscombe 17, Oldfield Old Boys 15

SOMERSET Premier leaders Wiveliscombe were pushed all the way by their third-placed visitors from Bath on Saturday, writes Roger Bellamy

Wivey are having to contend with injuries and suspended players, putting pressure on the club's resources, but those promoted from the club's 2nd XV have shown good resolve and blended well to enable the team to compete.

The result of this game was probably decided in the opening 30 minutes. 

Playing down the slope, the visitors put Wivey under continuous pressure in and around their 22, and the home team's defence was stretched on numerous occasions, but good tackling and good set-piece possession kept Oldfield from crossing the try-line.

Oldfield looked a well drilled team but they failed to finish several promising attacks.

The ball was greasy and the wind unpredictable, but they must have felt disappointed at half time having scored just three points from an Aly Lane penalty.

The hosts started the second half with purpose and were rewarded with a try from Daniel Smyth Moore, following a well-constructed driving maul. 

Wivey continued to pressure the visitors through forwards and backs, but it was the forwards who found the holes in the Oldfield defence.

A second try following a forwards move from Jason Richards gave the home team a 10-3 lead.

The hosts continued to gain good territory but the away side were beginning to look dangerous on the counter-attack and came close to scoring on several occasions.

Wivey scored their third try in similar circumstances to their previous two, but this time it was stand-in scrum-half Dan Quick who reacted sharply to touch down. 

He converted the try himself, to give his team a 17-3 advantage.
Oldfield kept playing attacking rugby and Wivey were struggling to contain them. 

Two tries in the last quarter – from Dan Goetz and Dan Harrington – brought Oldfield within two points of their hosts, Lane converting the latter try.

However, Wiveliscombe held on to maintain their unbeaten run in this 2018/19 season and stay top of the Somerset Premier standings.

There are no fixtures for Wivey this coming weekend; on November 17, Wivey play away to St Bernadettes Old Boys League, while Wivey 2nds are at Martock.


WELLINGTON 2nd XV went down 57-18 at home to Cheddar Valley on Saturday. 

The R&Bs try scorers were Dan Goldstone, Callum Warren & Tyler Hart with Ricki Marke kicking a penalty. 

The top two sides seem to be pulling away but the rest of the league is quite close with only five points separating third and seventh.