Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division South

Farnborough 1, Taunton Town 4

TAUNTON Town returned to the top of Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division South after coming from behind to record a convincing win at Farnborough.

Town fell behind on 20 minutes but led 3-1 by half-time before Craig Veal’s late fourth put the icing on the cake for the Peacocks, who made the most of Weymouth and Salisbury being in FA Trophy action to hit the summit.

The visitors did not start the game particularly well and, having survived one let-off when Charles-Smith headed a presentable chance over, were punished shortly afterwards when Reggie Young fired past Lloyd Irish.

Irish kept the deficit at one with a fine save before the Peacocks drew level with a goal involving each of the front three. Matt Wright received a pass from Andrew Neal and set up Dan Sullivan, who found the net to level the scores.

Two goals in five minutes then put the Peacocks in the driving seat before half-time. Both were scored by Neal, who held his nerve from the spot on 37 minutes and then seized on a mistake by Kamara to round the ‘keeper and slot home Town’s third.

Neal was forced off through injury with the second half only four minutes old and penalty taking duties switched to Wright when the Peacocks were awarded a second spot-kick just after the hour.

The skipper could not replicate his teammate’s earlier effort, however, blasting straight at goalkeeper Beach as the lead stayed at two.

The Peacocks had to survive a spell of pressure from the hosts, who hit the post as they looked to set up a grand finale, but the high-flying visitors had the final word when substitute Veal ghosted in to add a fourth in the last minute.

Next up for Town is a crunch game against third-placed Salisbury at the Viridor Stadium on Wednesday night.

Taunton Town: Lloyd Irish, Pierce Mitchell, Lewis Hall (Josh Nelmes 64), Ben Adelsbury, Ed Palmer, Matt Buse, Shane White, Ryan Brett, Matt Wright (Ollie Chamberlain 82), Dan Sullivan, Andrew Neal (Craig Veal 49)