Western Counties West
Wellington 38, Wadebridge Camels 10

WADEBRIDGE were the visitors to The Athletic Ground last Saturday for a game played in dank conditions, but credit to both teams who always tried their utmost to play an open running game despite the conditions, writes Allyn Chetland.

Playing towards the clubhouse in the first half, Wellington started well and were soon camped deep in Wadebridge territory.

Chris Kitto benefitted from his team’s superior scrum to score the opening try of the match which was converted by captain Paddy Jarman.

Wadebridge reduced the arrears immediately, via a penalty, after the Red & Blacks failed to deal with the restart.

Despite this setback, Wellington went straight back onto the attack and the pressure again told and George Hodgson crossed for a try which was converted by Jarman following an excellent and well-worked team attack.

Wadebridge responded with a period of pressure themselves but could not breach the R&Bs’ defence.

With 10 minutes of the half remaining, Hodgson found himself with a bit a space just inside his own half and crossed for his second try of the game, which was unconverted, showing excellent pace and strength to out strip the would-be tacklers in the process.

The R&Bs then found themselves desperately defending their own line, the desire not to let Wadebridge score was there for all to see and the half time score remained at 19-3.

The second half started the same as the first with the R&Bs on the offensive.

A fine attack saw the ball find its way into the hands of winger Ash Harney who with quick thinking and even quicker feet bamboozled his way over for his team’s fourth try of the game, Jarman once again made no mistake with the extra points to increase the lead to 26-3.

Wadebridge replied with a converted try of their own to reduce the arrears which it must be said was no more than their efforts deserved.

The wind was taken out of Wadebridge sails when Vinny Gordan intercepted a speculative pass to gallop unopposed to score underneath the posts from 45m out which was again converted by Jarman.

The R&Bs were now well on top at this point & replacement prop Ryan Marke, with a hint of a dummy and a sidestep, scored his teams 6th try of the match following another well organised attack.

The try went unconverted to make the score 38-10 to the R&Bs.

A fine win for the R&Bs, despite the heavy conditions underfoot, backing up the excellent display from the previous week.

Second row Regan Walker had his best game of the season so far whilst elder brother Martin, also had a good game starting for the first time this season.

George Hodgson playing in the unfamiliar position at full-back looked dangerous all game and Vinny Gordan again had a fine game in the centre.

This coming Saturday, Winscombe visit The Athletic Ground.

The last time the R&Bs played Winscombe was in the final of last season’s Somerset Vase, which the R&Bs comfortably won.

However, league rugby is different and for sure Winscombe will be looking to avenge the Vase defeat so a difficult and tricky game awaits for the R&Bs.

Squad: J.Richards, J.Dyke, O.Price, R.Walker, C.Kitto, T.Jenkinson, L.Phillips, M.Walker, D.Goldstone, P.Jarman(c), A.Harney, V.Gordon, C.Batts, N.Pitman, G.Hodgson, T.Hart, A.Davey, R.Marke