Toolstation Western League
Premier Division
Buckland Athletic 2, Wellington AFC 0

WELLINGTON were unable to build on their 3-0 win the previous week, as they lost 2-0 at Buckland Athletic on Saturday.

The Tangerines fell behind after only four minutes, as Ryan Bush headed in a Richard Groves cross.

Glen Wright made a goal-line block to keep Wellington in it, then saw a shot saved at the other end, but on 40 minutes James Richards made it 2-0 with a fine individual effort.

The visitors battled gamely in the second half, but although there were chances aplenty at both ends, no more goals were scored.


Toolstation Western League
First Division
Bishops Lydeard 2, Radstock Town 1

BISHOP Lydeard desperately needed to bounce back with a win on Saturday, after the previous week's home defeat by Oldland Abbotonians.

The encounter with fellow strugglers Radstock Town was always lively, with both teams attempting to play attacking football.

In the 28th minute a cross from the left by Harry Millar set up a chance for Luke Desave to head home, but a defender just beat him to the ball.

But 10 minutes later the hosts did go ahead, as Ryan Brereton slid the ball home after a mix-up between the Radstock defence and goalkeeper.

Lydeard started the second half strongly, with Jake Quick managing a number of breakaways down the right wing.

Quick set up three chances which his colleagues missed, but then a Radstock defender handled the ball in the penalty area, and Luke Bryant fired home a strong spot-kick to make is 2-0 with 50 minutes played.

The two teams continued in attacking mode and only two superb saves by Lydeard keeper Nathan Whatley, in the 54th and 81st minutes, kept them in front.

Sean Derrick pulled a goal back with five minutes left, as he put the ball past the advancing Whatley and into the left-hand corner.

Radstock pressed hard to get an equaliser but Lydeard held firm for the victory.


IN the Uhlsport Somerset County League, Premier Division outfit Watchet Town got back to winning ways by doing the double over Nailsea United on Saturday.

Ryan Jones was sent off with just a quarter of the game played, but goals from Ryan Strong and Tom Sparks won the day for the visitors.

Division 1 strugglers Staplegrove also secured a welcome victory, triumphing 4-1 at Keynsham Town Reserves to ease their relegation worries.

But promotion contenders Minehead AFC came unstuck against fellow high-fliers Winscombe, going down 2-0, as William Manning netted both for the hosts.