Western Counties West

Wellington 46, Saltash 8

SALTASH were the visitors to The Athletic Ground last Saturday in what turned out to be an excellent display by The R&Bs despite the inclement playing conditions, writes Allyn Chetland.

Winger Ash Harney returned to the starting XV for The R&Bs with George Hodgson and Cam Venn taking places on the bench.

The R&Bs started well but it was even for the first 10 minutes until No 8 Chris Kitto broke the deadlock when he powered through for an unconverted try.

They maintained the pressure and full-back Alex Davey scored wide out before second row Regan Walker thundered over.

In a rare visit to the R&Bs' half, Saltash were awarded a penalty in front of the posts and the lead was reduced.

Wellington came back with the best try of the game by Nev Pitman, who scorched in underneath the posts for a 50m try following an excellent break by captain Patrick Jarman.

Alex Davey added the extras to bring the half-time score to 22-3.

The second half started with the R&Bs on top and prop Jack Richards muscled his way over the line for a converted try.

Centre Vinny Gordon was the next to score and Davey popped up for his second try.

Saltash then scored their consolation try with 10 minutes remaining but the R&Bs hit back through Cam Venn and Davey converted to complete the scoring.

Liam Phillips continued his rich vein of form with Chris Kitto also impressing.

Winger Harney picked up ligament and tendon injures as is likely to be out for a number of weeks.

The R&Bs welcome Crediton to The Athletic Ground on Saturday.

The Devon side are lying third in the league, one place above The R&Bs.

When the sides met at the beginning of the season, Wellington lost by a single point.

This is sure to be a tough and gruelling encounter - to make amends for the early season loss, the R&Bs will need to be firing Wellington: Richards, Dyke, Marke, Walker R, Walker M, Kitto, Phillips, Lee, Goldstone, Jarman (c), Hart, Pitman, Gordon, Harney, Davey, Hodgson, Venn, Price.

Somerset Premier

Wiveliscombe 27, Weston-super-Mare 2nds 17

WIVELISCOMBE bounced back from the previous weekend's defeat by overcoming a useful Weston side at the Wivey Rec on a horrible afternoon, writes Roger Bellamy.

The seasiders proved a real handful playing down the slope in the first half, their large forwards testing the home team's defence with driving mauls and effective ruck play.

A more than competent three-quarters line took advantage of good possession to take the lead through centre Chris Young, who ran a good line to cross for the first try of the game.

Fly-half Archie Tilsley converted to give the visitors a 7-0 lead.

Weston took full advantage of the slope and conditions to score a second try through second row Ross Chesner, though it went unconverted.

Wivey closed the gap to 12-5 after a period of sustained pressure ended in a try from no 8 Daniel Smythe Moore.

The conversion was missed, to give the visitors a seven-point lead at half time.

With the elements at their backs, Wivey were hoping to gain the upper hand after the break, but they had to work really hard before an opportunist try from scrum-half Hugh Kelly pulled the home team level.

The hosts then took the lead for the first in the game when top try scorer of the season Jake Sharland crossed for a typical touchdown, having outpaced the visiting defence.

Weston were still finding good field positions, either by their own competent play or the home team's failure to clear their 22, and they deservedly drew level at 17-17 with a try from Sam Fisher.

Conditions deteriorated as the game progressed, but Wivey were able to create the winning opportunity for who else but Sharland to cross for his second try of the match, converted by George Rowe.

The hosts were now looking to obtain the two-score advantage, and an opportunity to convert a penalty was taken by George Rowe.

That secured a 27-17 home win and five points.

The West Somerset team now have a nine-point lead at the top of the Somerset Premier standings, and they will look to increase that when they visit second-placed Nailsea & Blackwell on February 9 (after a free weekend this Saturday).

The visitors will be well supported by a large following of past players on their annual day out.

Somerset 2 South

Yeovil 2nds 64, Wiveliscombe 2nds 22

WIVEY'S 2nd XV were well in this game at the halfway point but Yeovil, third in the table, then pulled away to gain a comprehensive victory.

The home team, who had a single-figure lead at the break, ended 64-22 winners.

Wiveliscombe's points came from a try from Kane Pepper, his sixth in two games, plus two more from John Palk and Jason Richards; Hugh Harris converted two and added a penalty.

February 9 sees Wivey 2nds travel to Somerton.


WELLINGTON 2nds travelled to Castle Cary with one of the strongest squads put out all season and ran out worthy winners, 37-8.

Up front, the back row trio of Tim Jenkinson, Jason Rowlands and Matt Huggett had fine games along with second row Sandy Kiddle.

The front row of Josh Hancock, Gui Bento and newcomer Bill Harney gave their physically bigger opponents a torrid time in the scrums while, out in the three quarters, Chris Batts, Rob Hooper and Will Brewer all had excellent games with Brewer catching the eye with some fine breaks.

The R&B try scorers were Jenkinson, Rowlands, Huggett, Brewer, Jacob Coles and Hooper (2) with Ricki Marke converting one.