Western Counties West

Tiverton 1st XV 8, Wellington 1st XV 15

THE R&Bs made the short trip south to take on local rivals Tiverton last Saturday in what was a keenly-contested league derby match, writes Allyn Chetland.

Ollie Price and Martin Walker came into the starting XV for Ryan Marke and Cam Venn who moved to the bench as The R&Bs rotated the squad.

With the wind at their backs, The R&Bs went on to dominate the opening period with some excellent tactical kicking by captain Patrick Jarman.

They did, though, find it difficult to break down the resolute Tiverton defence.

An excellent catch-and-drive at the lineout saw The R&Bs' pack trundle on to score the opening try, prop Jack Richards emerging to claim the score.

More R&Bs pressure ensued, a penalty hit the post, the ball was held up over the line and desperate last-ditch tackle dislodged the ball.

Frustrated by lost opportunities The R&Bs continued to press but, in the dying minutes of the half, Tiverton caught The R&Bs cold with a quick, well-orchestrated attack to score an unconverted try to the even the scores at five points each.

With the wind, Tiverton had more territory in the second half and they took the lead with 20 minutes of the game remaining via a penalty.

The R&Bs' response was immediate, another period of pressure and another catch-and-drive from a lineout resulting in another try for Richards.

Full-back Alex Davey made no mistake with the extra points 8-12 to The R&Bs.

The last 10 minutes of the game once again saw The R&Bs camped deep in Tiverton’s half looking for another try to settle the game.

Tiverton’s defence held firm but they did concede a penalty in the final minute of the half which was coolly slotted by Davey to seal the victory.

The foundation of this win was laid down up front with The R&Bs pack giving their opposite numbers a torrid time and the three quarters strung some excellent attacking phases together.

Liam Phillips, Jack Richards and Joe Dyke caught the eye up front with Vinny Gordon showing strength and determination out in the three quarters.

Replacement Rob Hooper, who came on for an injured Gordon, showed some excellent touches, hard running and was very unfortunate not to score a try in the first half.

Wellington: J. Richards, J. Dyke, O. Price, R. Walker, C. Kitto, D. Lee, L. Phillips, M. Walker, D. Goldstone, P. Jarman (c), T. Hart, V. Gordon, G. Hodgson, N. Pitman, A. Davey, C. Venn, R. Marke, R. Hooper.

The R&Bs welcome Truro to The Athletic Ground on Saturday (ko 2.30pm) .

When the two sides met earlier on in the season The R&Bs ran out worthy winners.

However, the Cornish side will want to make amends for this defeat so The R&Bs will once again need to raise their game and take nothing for granted in this tricky fixture.

Somerset Premier
Oldfield Old Boys 11, Wiveliscombe 12

WIVELISCOMBE consolidated their position at the top of Somerset Premier with this hard-earned victory over sixth placed Oldfield, writes Roger Bellamy.

On a ground where Wiveliscombe have rarely won, they were tested early on with the home backs building pressure through pace and rapid ball movement. 

Wivey’s defence had to be tight as the home team used high kicks to gain ground but, to their credit, Wiveliscombe caught and secured most of these. 

Oldfield took the lead with two penalties given for high tackles which scrum-half Ally Lane converted to put Oldfield 6-0 up. 

Wivey’s scrum gave them a good platform to work from and opportunities came on several occasions close to the home try line. 

They finally pierced the home defence when John Ker finished one of several rucks created by the visiting forwards.

The conversion was missed and, though chances came and went for both teams, the score remained 6-5 at the break.

Oldfield began the second half in similar fashion to the first with their powerful running and the number eight soon burst through Wivey’s defence to offload to Dan Harrington, who scored Oldfield’s only try of the game to put them 11-5 up.

Wivey’s forwards looked increasingly dangerous, working good positions from scrums, and deep into the second period they created three scoring opportunities from ruck situations but the referee was in no position to award a try on all three.

The visitors were finally rewarded with a try from centre Dean Rawles after another good phase of play from forwards and threes. 

Fly-half George Rowe added the vital conversion to give his team a 12-11 victory.

It would be wrong to praise one single player from Wiveliscombe in this victory. 

All 15 played Thier part in a sometimes aggressive game where commitment was vital. 

The West Somerset team lost one league point to second place Burnham-on-Sea, who won with a bonus point, but Wiveliscombe are 15 points clear at the top.

Somerset 2 South
Wiveliscombe 2nd XV 63, Martock 12

WIVEY’S second team finally secured their second victory of the season in convincing fashion.

The visitors arrived short of a full complement of players and made up a full team from the hosts’ bench. 

Wiveliscombe are now third from bottom in the Somerset Two South League.
Tries for the home team came from Dan Clarke (2), Tom Lally (2), Lewis Manning (2), Jake Woodward, Joe Price, Ashley Scott and Kane Pepper, with Ryan Overthrow adding three conversions.

On Saturday, Wivey’s 1sts host St Bernadettes Old Boys and the 2nds are at Winscombe 2nds.