Toolstation Western League
First Division
Bishops Lydeard 4, Portishead Town 2

BISHOPS Lydeard made it back-to-back wins with a 4-2 comeback victory over fellow strugglers Portishead Town on Saturday, to pull seven points clear of the bottom two.

The visitors were the first to settle at Cothelstone Road, though, and they were 2-0 up inside 11 minutes, thanks to Alex Chapman and Alex O’Keeffe.

Lydeard were spurred into action and by the 15th minute a Zac Ryder shot and a Jason Quick header had brought things level in quick-smart fashion.

The rest of the half brought end-to-end football, but the defences held out.

After the break Lydeard dominated the game; their defence was solid and confident, with Jason Quick outstanding at left-back.

Their attack managed to hit the woodwork four times before Jake Quick’s 69th-minute breakaway down the centre gave them the lead.

He then scored the home team’s fourth with another counter-attacking goal in the 78th minute.

Quick may well have claimed a hat-trick and made it 5-2, with yet another breakaway in the 82nd minute, but his shot just missed the upright.

In the dying seconds of the game, Portishead gave the Bishops a fright, but two close-range shots were superbly saved by the ever-vigilant Whatley.

This coming Saturday Lydeard entertain Devizes Town in another tough fixture (ko 3pm).


Uhlsport Somerset County League
Premier & Division 1 Cup
Watchet Town 1, Staplegrove 2

STAPLEGROVE stormed into the semi-finals of the County League cup with victory away to Watchet Town, who play in the division above.

The visitors fell behind against the run of play, but a hard-working performance had its reward with two goals from lone striker Joe Wilkinson.

The home side went ahead from almost their first meaningful attack, Aerron Clausen’s shot being saved by Grove goalkeeper Shaun Locke and Adam Jefferies forcing in the rebound.

But two goals in as many minutes turned the game on its head.

Watchet were caught in possession in their own half, allowing Wilkinson to run onto a through ball and tuck the ball underneath keeper Adam Bishop.

Then a quick throw-in set up Wilkinson to roll his marker and execute a clinical lob over the stranded Bishop.

The hosts were stunned, and failed to get going ahead until after half-time.

They were on the front foot from the outset of the second half, but for all their possession they created few chances with Grove defending in numbers.

Set-pieces were the biggest danger, Tom Sparks heading against the bar and Eben Harding’s effort being cleared off the line.

With Chris Sully’s free-kick drifting inches over the top, the day was Staplegrove’s, and they will face Minehead AFC in the last four in April.

It’s back to league duty this Saturday, though, and a trip to Burnham United (ko 3pm).