TAUNTON Town may have fallen short of pulling off a last-day title triumph, but head of football Rob Dray was full of positives as the Peacocks head into the play-offs.

Taunton won 2-1 away to Basingstoke Town on Saturday afternoon, but Weymouth kept themselves a point ahead at the top of the table with three second-half goals against Farnborough.

In a match affected by high winds, Andrew Neal put the visitors ahead in the final game at Basingstoke's Camrose ground before the site is sold for residential development, the striker converting from the penalty spot after being caught by Ben Wright - the goal giving Neal his 36th goal of the season.

READ MORE: Basingstoke Town v Taunton Town as it happened

Ryan Brett doubled the lead after half-time with a nicely controlled, left-footed half-volley from Dan Sullivan's ball over the top, and with a 2-0 lead and Weymouth being held, Taunton were heading up as champions.

But three quick-fire goals - from Yemi Odubade, Brandon Goodship and Ben Thomson - gave the Terras a 3-0 victory over Farnborough, and they claim the one automatic promotion spot for National League South.

With Hendon and Walton Casuals winning, and Gosport Borough drawing at Metropolitan Police, Basingstoke had suddenly dropped into the relegation zone.

And there they stayed, despite Wright scoring from Sam Smart's cross to make it 2-1, so Basingstoke's final game at the Camrose ended with them joining Frome Town and Staines Town in dropping down to Division 1 level for next season.

After the match, Taunton boss Dray said: “It was a fantastic performance [from us].

“I think that, apart from the one shot they had in the second half when they scored, they didn’t really touch us.

“The effort levels were fantastic and the execution nigh-on perfect, given the conditions were so, so tough and the pitch was horrific.

“This was their [Basingstoke’s] last game here, and it felt like a car park out there.

“But we dealt with it and got the win, that’s what we had to do to keep our end of the bargain. I’m very proud of the boys in there.

“All the boys have been fantastic, I can't fault any of them, especially at the moment.

“We’ll have a 10-minute reflection and then go on to Wednesday.

“There’s a little bit of disappointment [to finish second].

“But when you look how far we’ve come in such a short space of time, and to push a club like them [Weymouth] so far and so hard like we did, it’s a credit to everyone at the club [Taunton], not just the players.

“There’s an element of disappointment, but you can’t dwell on it – you have to get back on the horse quickly and look forward to Wednesday.”

Wednesday sees Taunton host Poole Town - who secured fifth place with a 7-0 win at Staines - at the Viridor Stadium (ko 7.45pm).

The winner of that play-off semi-final will face the winner of Met Police v Salisbury in the play-off final, which takes place the following Monday.

Dray added: “We’re at home and no-one likes playing Taunton at home.

“It’s a lottery now, but I’d say [Poole] are the toughest of the teams in the play-offs.

“They’re in good form and they’re a good team – they’ve essentially got a Conference South budget and Conference South players, because they’re trying to get back up quickly.

“So it will be tough, but we’ll have a good go at it on Wednesday.”