FC Castlemoat completed an astonishing quadruple in the Invest SouthWest Taunton Saturday League, after victory in the final match of the season saw them scoop the Division 2 title, writes Matt Whelan.

Nothing but a win away at Butlins would secure Moat this elusive quartet of trophies, but Charlie Wilson’s double in the first half made it look like plain sailing for them.

Butlins, though, pulled one back after the break to produce an extremely tense and nervous finish.

The Moat management and supporters on the sidelines ended the game with chewed fingernails, but they saw their side hold on to triumph 2-1 and overtake Stogursey in the standings.

Remarkably, Moat pipped them to the title on goal difference, with both sides having identical records of 18 wins, one draw and one defeat.

You’d need more than a sticky note to list Moat’s trophies this season: Division 2 winners, Rowbarton Charity Cup winners, Seward Cup winners and, lastly and arguably the most exceptional, Somerset Intermediate Cup winners.


Somerset County Gazette:

LYDEARD RESERVES: back row - Louis Wood, Nick Buttle, Rhys Ford, Aaron Ellicott, Wayne Harding, Dave Barrel, Cy Rich, Jack Kelly, Amauri Ruiz, Cahal Robertson, Chris Channon, James Clapperton; front - Connor Noble, Luke Walsh, Will Mumby, Andy James, Pat Sherwood, Alex Stephens, Charlie Purvis, Adam Bouteb-Cross

BISHOPS Lydeard Reserves may have fallen short of claiming the treble, but there’s no doubt it’s been a very, very good season for them, writes Richard Browne.

Lydeard faced Frome Collegians in last Thursday’s Somerset FA Junior Cup final, and took an early lead through Charlie Purvis.

Their opponents equalised just before half-time, and then raced into a 3-1 lead.

Lydeard skipper Pat Sherwood pulled one back with 15 minutes to go, and then in stoppage time he was felled in the box; he dusted himself down to score from the penalty spot and force extra time.

The extra 30 minutes was nip and tuck between two well-matched sides, and although Lydeard had their chances, it was the Frome side who scored twice to win 5-3 and claim the silverware.

Still, Lydeard can look back with satisfaction on a campaign which has seen them win Division 1 of the Taunton Saturday League without losing a league match all season, while they also scooped the league’s Knockout Cup, beating Bridgwater Sports (who finished second in Division 1) 3-0 in the final.

Manager Nick Buttle put this consistency down to “continuity of players week in, week out, and good team morale”.

He added: “We’re the only team in the league to have won all of our home games, and we conceded the least home and away.

“We have a strong defence and midfield, and we’ve had five players who have scored 15 or more goals.

“Seven of our players also stepped up to play for the first team this season.”

In terms of which squad members had stood out, Buttle said: “Our captain Pat Sherwood was out top scorer, from midfield, with 25 goals in all competitions.

“Cahal Robertson has also been very good, but really everyone has contributed.

“We have a strong defence, well marshalled by Alex Stephens, and a good mix of young and old.”

They follow Middlezoy Rovers Reserves as Saturday League champions, and also hope to follow in their footsteps in gaining entry to the Somerset County League – Zoy making it back-to-back titles by winning Division 3 in that league this season.

Buttle confirmed that it is Lydeard’s intention to make the jump up, and they should find out if their application is successful next month.

He’s hopeful of the team being accepted, given that they have a healthy squad, a good ground and the club also plans to field an Under-18 team in the Somerset Floodlight Youth League next season, which could see them face the likes of Chard and Wellington.