WEPL Premier 2 Bristol/Somerset

Midsomer Norton 240 beat Taunton 60 by 180 runs

TAUNTON endured an afternoon to forget at Midsomer Norton as they were shot out for 60 on Saturday.

The home side elected to bat upon winning the toss and, after a steady start, their momentum was halted as Taunton took three quick wickets.

George Rowe (3-53) claimed two in successive deliveries and James Hayes (2-42) also struck as Midsomer slipped from 43-0 to 45-3.

They were the last breakthroughs for some time, however, as Nick Cox and Jake Rowe added 115 for the fourth wicket.

Cox made 54 and Rowe 72 before the partnership was ended by Ben Chaffey (1-17), and the home side pushed on to 240 when their final wicket fell to Will Easterfield (2-49) with three balls of the innings remaining.

Taunton lost Charles Clist (2) early in the reply and this set the tone for the innings as the top order fell quickly, Gary Filer (2-20) and Daniel Chard (3-19) proving too hot to handle.

Before long the visitors were 28-4, which became 37-6 to put the result beyond any doubt.

Number eight Chris Greenwood (11) was the only Taunton batsman to make double figures before Nick Pang (3-7) polished off the tail, leaving Taunton all out for 60 in the 30th over.

Taunton, second bottom, face a crunch game this Saturday as they play host to the only side currently below them in the table, Shapwick & Polden.

The action gets underway at 12.30pm at Taunton Vale, with the hosts looking to complete a league double having won by 13 runs in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.

WEPL Premier 2 Bristol/Somerset

Ilminster 202-5 beat Taunton Deane 201-9 by 5 wkts

TAUNTON Deane lost grip of top spot after they were beaten at home by Ilminster on Saturday.

The Deane won the toss and batted on another hot day at the Convent Field and saw their top three make useful, if not defining, contributions.

Calvin Harrison (16), Grant Davey (23) and Tennesee Harlow (21) got in and got out, leaving skipper Harry Thomas to anchor the innings from number four.

Thomas struck six boundaries in a patient half century before falling for 52 from 82 balls and he received useful support from Harry Smith (30).

Jason Squire (22) and Rob Pryke (12) chipped in down the order to take the Deane just past 200, with Richard Elswood (3-28 off 10) the pick of the Ilminster attack.

Off-spinner Jamie Stephens (1-46) was first to strike for the hosts in the run chase, having the dangerous Louis Kraucamp (11) caught by Harlow.

Ilminster’s overseas player Keelan Ashby (7) also fell cheaply, one of two scalps for the economical Pryke (2-21 off seven), but Charlie Vickery joined opener George Hayward for a valuable third-wicket stand.

Hayward lasted 100 balls for his 69 before he chipped a return catch back to Charlie Sharland (2-14 off five), who then had Matt Davis stumped without scoring.

Josh Lee hit four sixes in his 50 and, though he fell just before the job was done, Vickery remained unbeaten on 42 to see Ilminster to a five-wicket win with 2.5 overs to spare.

On Sunday, the Deane Diamonds took part in the WEPL T20 finals day for the first time.

Held at Keynsham CC, the Diamonds batted first in their semi-final against Potterne and posted 148-8, Calvin Harrison starring with 66 from 49 balls.

Potterne slipped to 5-2 as both openers fell quickly but Graham Wiseman’s 77 from 44 balls (six fours and six sixes) kept the chase on track.

The Deane kept chipping away and were given fresh hope, when Potterne lost three wickets with the score on 146.

But the Premier 1 side got home with five balls and two wickets to spare to book their place in the final, which they lost to Bath.

Rob Pryke took 4-21 for the Deane, while Luke Williams chipped in with 2-29 and Jason Squire kept it tight with 1-10 from four.

On Saturday, the Deane are back in Keynsham taking on the home side in Premier 2 (12.30pm).

WEPL Somerset Division

Minehead 232-8 beat Wellington 119 by 113 runs

WELLINGTON are in a concentrated section of the division after ten matches, following this home defeat by Minehead last weekend, writes David Derrick.

Minehead opted to bat first and saw Ian Buchanan and Angus Marsh add 67 first up as an early breakthrough eluded the home bowlers.

When one did come, several followed as Arron Campbell, with 3-18 in ten fine overs of off-spin, sent Minehead to 116-5 as several players made starts but did not go on with them.

Rob Moysey and Sam Whitefield saw their varieties of spin bowling be successful and, with Luke Desave collecting two wickets late on, bowling bonus points were collected.

However, from 151-7, Minehead lost only one more wicket and added 80 or so runs by the end of their allocation of 50 overs with Archie Marsh hitting a good 51no to see that Wellington would need 233 to win.

The reply did not get going well as the score dipped to 29-4 with Sam Whitefield’s 33 been the best offering.

Late resistance came from Rob Moysey, with 15, Ollie Wilkins, with a good 26no, Lewis Sparks, with 10, and Will Derrick, with 8, but with Dan Bowditch’s 3-28 in ten overs leading the way, Minehead took the honours on the day.

On Saturday, Wellington face a tricky trip to Yeovil (12.30 start).

WEPL Somerset Division

Street 210-4 beat Taunton Deane 2nds 207 by 6 wkts

A RAPID 89 from Taunton Deane 2nds captain Russell Jones was not quite enough to lead his side to victory at Street on Saturday.

The Deane were 70-6 when Jones entered the fray after Michael Higgs (6-20 from 10) had run through the top order.

The captain blasted eight fours and eight sixes in his 57-ball knock as he added 113 with opener Hugh Bellamy (40) to take the Deane towards a competitive total of 207.

Josh Thomas (1-44 from eight) struck early in reply and there were two wickets for Luke Williams (2-44) as Street slipped to 81-4.

That brought Rob Hill and Craig Gourlay together and they remained inseparable until the job had been done, finishing unbeaten on 81 and 44 respectively as Street got home in the 43rd over.