West of England Premier League
Premier 2 Bristol/Somerset
Taunton Deane 182-9 beat North Perrott 130 by 52 runs

JACK Leach dug England out of trouble with the bat against Ireland at Lord’s last month... and the Somerset spinner did the same for Taunton Deane at North Perrott on Saturday.

The Deane, needing a win to stay ahead of the Premier 2 pack, were struggling at 78-5, despite Rob Woodman’s 32 and Harry Thomas’ 24, when Leach entered the fray.

He steadied the innings in his controlled style and, with partner Jamie Stephens (41), added 78 vital middle order runs.

By the time Leach was ninth out, he had made 56, hitting one four and two sixes in a 92-ball stay... take note, England batsmen!

As a result, the Deane were heading towards a closing total of 182-9.

Gordon Whorlow was the pick of the Perrott attack, taking 4-34 off 9 and Stacy Hawes kept it tight with his seven overs costing just 21 runs and reaping two wickets.

If Perrott had their Whorlow, the Deane had Jason Squire when the home side replied.

The Deane seamer was in devastating form.

He reduced the Perrott front line to 43-5 as he took 5-7 off his 7 overs, producing four maidens.

It was a collapse from which Perrott failed to recover.

Alex Eckland stoically reached 55 off 104 on a slow track and he and skipper Jake Symes (20) put on 50 for the sixth wicket.

But the introduction of Leach sounded the final death knell as his 9.2 overs gave away just eight runs and produced the final dismissal with Perrott on 130.


WEPL Premier 2 Bristol/Somerset
Bishopston 314-4 beat Taunton 222 by 92 runs

AN astonishing stand of 267 put paid to Taunton’s hopes at home to Bishopston on Saturday.

Electing to bat first, the visitors looked to have made the wrong decision as James Hayes produced a fine opening spell with accounted for the top three with just 32 on the board.

This brought together Jamie Tapper and Mark Coombes who turned the game on its head as the Taunton attack toiled in the sun.

By the time the partnership was broken it had realised 267.

Tapper was finally out caught by William Easterfield off Hugh Kelly for a swashbuckling 133, which included 20 fours and a six.

His partner in the onslaught was not far behind, unbeaten on 128 in an innings which featured 16 fours.

As a result, Bishopston posted 314-4 off their 50 overs.

Despite the flashing blades, Hayes bowled well to end with 3-33 off his 10 overs.

To stand a chance of victory, Taunton needed a big stand early on but it failed to materialise.

After openers Jesse Vertongen and Richard Glover had put on 31, the former fell for 19, quickly followed by Glover (12), and Taunton were on the back foot.

Oliver O’Livey and Charles Clist (9) added 28 before Dan Quick joined O’Livery at the crease.

Together, they rejuvenated the innings and, although always behind the clock, added 86 in good time.

When O’Livey departed for 51, the middle order fell away in the search for runs.

Quick battered a quick-fire 63 and young Ben Chaffey added a well-made 27 before being run out.

The re-introduction of Jacob Duffy put Taunton out of their misery as he mopped up the tail and reduced them to 222 all out.


WEPL Premier 1
Downend 135-6 beat Taunton St Andrew’s 134 by 4 wkts

A MIDDLE order batting collapse has cut the Saints further adrift at the bottom of the table with just four matches remaining.

Having won the toss at home, Saints skipper James Regan opted to bat, but Jack Cooper was out with just 11 on the board.

Young James Rew came to the wicket and he and Regan took the score on to 31 before the latter became the victim of Bobby Naeem for just six.

Thus ensued the biggest stand of the innings as Rew was joined by Rob Contreras, who set about stabilising the innings.

This they did to great effect, taking the score to 104 before Rew was out to Hamdi Saleem for a patient 27.

From here in it was all downhill.

Contreras could only look on as wickets fell around him, despite a quick flutter as Lloyd Alley (11) became the only one of the last seven batsmen to reach double figures.

The introduction of Callum Loud precipitated the fatal Saints’ collapse with a 23-ball spell which reaped 6-8.

Contreras, at seventh man down, became one of his victims for a fine 48 which included eight fours.

The Saints innings fell away spectacularly to 134 all out.

On the Wyvern Club’s unforgiving pitch, nothing is taken for granted and the Saints’ response could not have been better when Downend replied.

Craig Dourado struck twice to dismiss Daniel Semple and Loud without a run on the board... and the victory was on.

Saleem (25) and Brandon Gilmour took the score on to 50 before both became the victim of Alley, who joined Dourado in a fine spell of bowling.

Downend were reduced to 67-5 and the Saints were in the ascendancy.

However, the was the last of the Saints’ success as Atif Qureshi joined skipper Jordan Garrett.

While Garrett took the anchor role, Qureshi went on the attack, hitting four fours and two sixes in a run-a-ball 35 which put his side in an unassailable position.

When he became the victim of Harry Clements, there were just four required for victory.

Matt Jackson came in to hit the boundary and see Downend home by four wickets.

Pick of the Saints attack was Lloyd Alley, who ended with 3-42 off 7.

He was well supported by Dourado’s opening spell of 2-33 off 6 and Clements chipped in with the other wicket.