Emirates FA Cup
Extra preliminary round (replay)
Cribbs 5, Wellington AFC 1

WELLINGTON were knocked out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle on Tuesday night, beaten 5-1 in an extra preliminary round replay at Cribbs.

The original match (also at Cribbs, as Wellington’s ‘home’ match could not be played at North Street due to the ongoing cricket season) finished 1-1 on Saturday, with Jake Hodgson putting Cribbs ahead and Connor Pengelly levelling for the Tangerines.

Boss Clive Jones made five changes for the replay, but his side were 1-0 down with just four minutes played – Charlie Aldom converting a cross from the right.

The rest of the first half was a pretty even affair, until a disastrous spell for Wellington saw them concede three goals in as many minutes.

The ball broke for Jake Hodgson to fire home in the 39th minute, and then Joe White was left unmarked to head in.

And it was 4-0 at half-time as a cross rebounded off the bar and George Kellow volleyed home in the 42nd minute.

Kellow scored again, after Aldom had slipped him through, two minutes after the break, but thankfully for the Tangerines the scoreline did not get any uglier.

Cribbs were content to cruise into the next round, but there was a consolation goal for Wellington with six minutes to go, as substitute Paolo Borges was brought down and Ian Bellinger’s free-kick went in off the post to make the final score 5-1.

Wellington: Josh Mclean, Lewis Pocock, Josh Pearson, Tim Legg, Sam Bryant, Glen Wright, Jack Bryant, Joe Chamberlain, Joe Wilkinson, Joe Wylie, Ian Bellinger. Subs: Connor Pengelly, Sam Jones, Ollie Nott, Paolo Borges.

This Saturday sees Wellington head to Buckland Athletic for a Western League Premier Division match (ko 3pm).

Buckland’s only league match so far saw them lose 3-1 at home to Westbury United.

Then, on Tuesday (August 20, ko 7.30pm), the Tangerines go to Street, who dropped back into the Western League from the Southern League this season.


Toolstation Western League
First Division
Bishops Lydeard 2, Wincanton Town 3

BISHOPS Lydeard came back down to earth following their opening day 7-0 win, as they went down by the odd goal in five at home to Wincanton on Saturday.

These two sides were evenly matched in an entertaining first half; the deadlock was finally broken in the 36th minute, Danny Golden scoring for the visitors, converting a cross from the left.

Wincanton striker Toby Dolton Cole was twice thwarted by good saves from Lydeard keeper Nathan Whatley, and then by Luke Bryant on the goal-line.

In the 56th minute, Miles Quick swept home a cross from the right, but Wincanton soon went back in front through Matt Howell.

The Bishops were level again in the 70th minute, Luke Bryant netting a penalty after a hand ball in the area.

But Cole had the last word, scoring a fine individual effort in the 82nd minute to win the match for the visitors.

Lydeard head to Corsham on Saturday (ko 3pm).


THE opening round of Uhlsport Somerset County League matches brought mixed results for Minehead AFC, Staplegrove and Watchet Town.

Premier Division side Watchet Town drew 1-1 at Stockwood Wanderers, with Adam Jefferies scoring the visitors' goal, while Minehead beat Street Reserves 3-2 in Division 1, thanks to Stefan Phillips (2) and Toby Morris.

Also in Division 1, Staplegrove went down 4-1 at Broad Plain House.

Sonny Stiddard proved the difference, scoring a hat-trick, with Max Bateman also netting for the hosts; Jason Quick replied for Grove.

This coming Saturday sees Watchet go to Clevedon United, Minehead host Hengrove Athletic Reserves and Staplegrove head to Uphill Castle.