WELLINGTON AFC manager Clive Jones offered to resign after Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Odd Down left the Tangerines at the bottom of the Toolstation Western League Premier Division standings.

Jones told the County Gazette: “I know we’re struggling, and I said [to club chairman Mike Hall] that if you have someone to take my place, then I’ll step down, because I feel the players have lost confidence.

“He said ‘Clive, do you want to step down?’ and I said ‘no, I’m up for the challenge’, so he said to get on with it!”

Jones confirmed that striker Joe Wilkinson has left the club, but he is still looking for players to reinforce “every department” in his squad.

"The pleasing thing is that we've created chances in the last two games, but we're not creating our own luck," he added.

Two goals conceded inside the first eight minutes proved Wellington’s undoing on Saturday, as Jay Murray’s looping header and Josh Cann’s cross-cum-shot gave Odd Down the advantage.

The Tangerines halved the deficit on the half-hour, Jack Bryant converting a penalty after Carl Jones had been brought down.

Jones then struck the post with a volleyed attempt, but the visitors could not force an equaliser.

James O’Kell then wrapped it up for the home side with a 20-yard effort with 19 minutes to go.

Wellington: Josh Mclean, Jack Bryant, Connor Pengelly, Tim Legg, Sam Bryant, Joe Chamberlain, Sam Jones, Glen Wright, Ian Bellinger, Joe Wylie, Carl Jones. Subs (used): Lewis Pocock, Josh Pearson.

This Saturday sees Wellington travel to Shepton Mallet, for an FA Vase first round qualifying tie (ko 3pm).

The winning club will earn £550, and the losers £175.

Jones said: "Shepton are a good footballing side, it's a game where we'll have to play really well to match them.

"I'd love to get through, but it will be a tough game."


Toolstation Western League
First Division
Bishops Lydeard 1, Sherborne Town 3

BISHOPS Lydeard suffered their second consecutive home defeat of the season on Saturday, in a game played in temperatures of 28°C.

The heat did little to help the teams play flowing football, but visitors Sherborne settled first and went ahead in the 10th minute through Sam Carnay.

Lydeard equalised in the 16th minute with a close-range effort from Mark Cornish, although it was only given after the referee consulted with his assistant.

The hosts could have had a second just two minutes later, as Charlie Wilson broke away, but his shot went just wide.

In the following 10 minutes Ben Hebditch hit the bar and Ryan Brereton had two good efforts saved by Sherborne goalkeeper Jamie Beale.

However, the second half belonged to Sherborne.

They went ahead with a long-range effort from Anthony Herrin in the 67th minute, and Haydn Hodges made it 3-1 with a good solo strike in the 89th minute.

The Bishops found playing up the slope in the second period hard work, and were showing signs of tiredness and frustration when the final whistle eventually put them out of their misery.

Lydeard have now lost both home games so far this season, and won both matches played away from home.

This Saturday (ko 3pm) they host Bodmin Town in the FA Vase (first round qualifying).