Toolstation Western League
Premier Division
Roman Glass St George 8, Wellington AFC 0

WELLINGTON's nightmare start to the 2019/20 season continued on Saturday, as they were thumped 8-0 by Roman Glass St George – who had been without a Premier Division point up until this match.

Tom Welch returned to take his place in goal, but the Tangerines were on the back foot from the off, and the hosts took the lead in the 16th minute, as Ryan Radford converted Sam Wentland's cross.

Three goals in three minutes before half-time effectively sealed the deal for the home side, as Radford scored his second, and George Box netted two of his own.

The punishment continued after the break, George Lloyd blasting in from 25 yards and Andrew Gurney making it 6-0.

Box completed his hat-trick with a penalty, and Lloyd then wrapped it up for the hosts – leaving Wellington rock bottom.

Wellington: Tom Welch, Sam Bryant, Tim Legg, Connor Bryant, Mitch Woodgate, Ian Bellinger, Sam Jones, Glen Wright, Joe Chamberlain, Jack Bryant, Connor Bryant. Subs (used): Joe Wylie, Paolo Borges.


First Division
Welton Rovers 1, Bishops Lydeard 0

BISHOPS Lydeard lost out to Welton Rovers on Saturday, in a meeting between two sides struggling to find form and create goals.

Ben Hebditch set up Sam Mockridge early on, but his shot was over the bar, and Hebditch himself fired narrowly over soon after.

The breakthrough came in the 40th minute, Welton's Rene Adibgo scrambling the ball home after a move down the middle of the pitch.

This proved to be the only goal of the game and only the second Welton have scored in their league campaign this season.

Lydeard seem to lose their way after the break, despite a good deal of effort, as their passing was just not accurate enough.

In the 52nd minute Nathan Whatley produced a good save from a shot from the edge of the box, before Ben Evett set up Harry Millar at the other end, but Millar's shot was blocked on the line.

The Bishops kept trying to break down the home defence but could not find a way through.

The teams played 11 minutes of injury time thanks to a number of players having cramp, but Lydeard were disappointed as the game finished with nothing to show for their efforts.

It was a tough day at the office for Bishops Lydeard Reserves, too, as they travelled to Middlezoy Rovers – a side three divisions above them in the Somerset County League – in the first round of the Somerset FA Senior Cup, and lost 6-0.

Johnny Higgins, Dan Luce (3), Charlie Lintell and Jamie Temlett got the goals for Middlezoy.

The Lydeard squad (pictured above, from left to right) was: back row - Chris Channon, James Clapperton, Connor Noble, Richard Collard, Jamie Howell, Cy Rich, Rhys Ford, Jack Kelly, Regan Scotcher, Nick Buttle (manager); front row - Jack Roberts, Charlie Purvis, Luke Walsh, Aaron Ellicott (captain), Harvey Follett, Will Govier, Ollie Andrews.