Western Counties (W)

Wiveliscombe 26, Teignmouth 19

A STIRRING second half comeback saw Wiveliscombe secure a morale-boosting victory over a useful Teignmouth side who had won three of of their opening five games, writes Roger Bellamy.

The visitors played down the Wivey slope in the first half and were quick to move the the ball at every opportunity.

They were rewarded with an unconverted try from winger Jordan Hellier after his fellow backs created space.

Teignmouth were spending plenty of time in Wiveliscombe territory and the home team had to defend with great spirit with forwards and backs creating a solid defensive line for long periods.

The visitors second try came from hooker Tom Osborn touching down after good work from Teignmouth's loose forwards.

Fly-half Faolan Lidstone converted to give the visitors a 12-0 lead.

Wiveliscombe created opportunities from set pieces where they competed well but failed to deliver that finishing touch.

The home team knew they had to limit the opposition to a score they could chase in the second half and, to their credit, the home team limited Teignmouth to just one more try.

Left wing Dom Twine was given space on the top touchline to round Wivey's defence scoring his team's third try which Lidstone converted for a 19-0 lead at half-time.

Teignmouth were always going to make the home team fight for every point but Wivey showed patience, going through set piece and backs moves with good continuity.

They were rewarded with a typical try from winger Jake Sharland after he was given room on the top touchline to cross for the home team's first try.

George Rowe, Wivey's fly-half, had been looking for a hole in the visitors defence for most of the game and one finally appeared from broken play ten minutes into the second half.

Rowe evaded several Teignmouth defenders to score the home team's second try and Dan Quick converted to bring the score back to 19-12.

Home supporters were beginning to believe their team could take the spoils in this encounter, especially when Wivey's number eight Dan Smyth-Moore scored from a driving maul following good forward pressure.

Dan Quick converted to draw the scores level at 19-19.

Wivey secured the bonus point win with Sharland again involved.

The visitors' defence was turned along the top touchline following a kick ahead, Sharland gave the bouncing ball a nudge to help it on its way.

His fellow winger Sam Gibbs appeared from the opposite side of the field to score the try.

On Saturday, Wivey face a long trip to Falmouth.

Western Counties (West)

Wellington 41, Penryn 22

Penryn were the visitors to The Athletic Ground last Saturday in what turned out to be another fine performance from the R&Bs played out in front of large crowd bolstered by more than 80 past players, writes Allyn Chetland.

Joe Dyke returned at hooker for the unlucky Andrew Bellamy whilst Vinny Gordon moved up from last week’s bench to replace Chris Batts, who in turn moved to the bench.

Playing towards the clubhouse in the first half, the R&Bs were quick out of the blocks when Cam Venn scored a close range unconverted try in Wellington's first trip into the visitors half.

The lead was short lived, however, as Penryn crossed for an unconverted try of their own soon after following a sustained period of pressure.

Stung by this set back, the hosts again went on the offensive and, following a string of well-co-ordinated attacks, winger Ash Harney rounded off a superb passage of play to score a try which was converted by Rob Hooper to regain the lead.

Penryn responded via a penalty after the R&Bs infringed at a ruck to reduce the deficit to four points going into the final 10 minutes of the half.

Wellington dominated territory and possession in these last minutes, duly increasing their lead when Venn powered over for another close range try converted by Hooper to make the half-time score 19-8.

The second half started in the best possible fashion for the R&Bs as an early attack by Penryn broke down and the ball found its way to centre George Hodgson, who left would-be tacklers grasping at thin air to run in 55-metre try which was converted by Hooper.

Penryn showed great character not to let this score take the winds out of their sales and scored a converted short range try soon after.

As a response, Wellington laid siege to Penryn’s line and these efforts were rewarded when Hooper kicked a penalty from in front of the posts after an infringement at a ruck.

This score was the catalyst for the hosts to take relax a little too much and for Penryn to increase their efforts.

The R&Bs had a player sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes and Penryn capitalised, scoring a converted try to reduce the arrears to 29-22.

Wellington did not panic and slowly but surely started to restore their grip on the game before going to score further tries by Harney and Hodgson, one of which was converted by Hooper, to make the final score 41-22.

Another well-deserved win and another great squad performance.

Out in the three quarters, Ash Harney and George Hodgson always looked dangerous with ball in hand while up front Martin Walker had another good game at prop with Cam Venn and Liam Phillips also showing up well.

This Saturday, the R&Bs travel to Saltash.

The Cornish side haven’t started the this campaign well and are currently propping up the league, however if past experiences are anything to go by Saltash is difficult place to go and get a result – Wellington will need to be fully focused to achieve this.

Squad: Richards, Dyke, Walker(M), Venn, Walker (R), Lee, Phillips, Kitto, Goldstone, Jarman (C), Pitman, Gordan, Hodgson, Harney, Hooper, Brewer, Batts, Hancock

Somerset 2 (S)

Chard 2nd XV 39, Wiveliscombe 2nd 10

Wiveliscombe travelled to Chard with a good squad of players but Chard had the edge in this Somerset Two South game.

The West Somerset team's only try was scored by Joe Price.

Hugh Harris converted and also added a penalty.

On Saturday, the 2nd XV travel to their Tor counterparts.