Toolstation Western League
Premier Division
Cribbs 3, Wellington 0

WELLINGTON’S new-look side failed to build on an impressive first-half display in Bristol on Tuesday night, as two late goals sealed the win for Cribbs.

Manager Tim Legg has been very busy rebuilding the side, after the loss of a dozen first team players, following the departure of previous boss Clive Jones.

The Tangerines had been without a game on Saturday, with their home fixture against Hallen falling foul of the wet weather, and they were without goalkeeper Tom Welch and wingers Luke Boyle and George Sinnott for the trip to Cribbs.

However, Josh Mclean was back in goal, ex-Bridgwater Town centre-back Jake Horsey made his debut and captain Glen Wright returned.

The visitors almost went ahead in the first minute, as Carl Jones shot wide, but Cribbs then took the lead from their first attack.

Jason Vincent picked up the loose ball and drilled it past Mclean for a third-minute opener.

Wellington did not despair, though, playing some good football without seriously troubling the home keeper.

They were so nearly level in the 65th minute, when Cribbs gave the ball away to substitute Joe Wilkinson, the ball fell for Jones, but his shot was headed off the line.

That was the chance, and the hosts went on to secure the three points with two goals in the final 13 minutes.

George Kellow’s shot was deflected home, and then Ed Harrison drove home the third in the 85th minute.

Wellington: Josh Mclean, Josh Pearson, Tom Stone, Jake Horsey, Neil Last, Jordan Mace, Glen Wright, Joe Wylie, Charlie Dodd, Ollie Holman, Carl Jones. Subs (all used): Joe Wilkinson, Jack Bown-Porter, Paolo Borges. Attendance: 56

It leaves Wellington 19th in the table, level on 10 points with Odd Down and Bridport, and three points ahead of bottom side Chipping Sodbury Town.

The Tangerines are due to host sixth-placed Clevedon Town this Saturday (ko 3pm), and then second-placed Plymouth Parkway the following Wednesday (7.45pm).


Somerset FA Premier Cup
Second round
Cheddar 2, Bishops Lydeard 1

BISHOPS Lydeard’s Somerset Premier Cup run was ended by second half goals from Adam Jones and Adam Wright, as Cheddar booked their place in the third round on Tuesday night.

Lydeard had bossed the first half, with midfielder Amari Diaz showing up well, although neither keeper had a shot to save.

Ryan Brereton’s fierce left foot was off target three times and Ruiz shot over while, at the other end, Cheddar’s chances were rarer with Maggs and Jones missing out.

Will Hazeldine butchered a golden chance to go ahead when clean through on the half hour, but after the break the chances began to come.

After Jones had somehow missed with a diving header from five yards, Lydeard took advantage with Diaz feeding Jason Quick and he finished well near the hour mark.

The lead did not last long, though, as Jones netted from on the line after a free-kick had been nodded back.

Lydeard were still dangerous and Greg Turner flew to his right to keep out Mark Clunie on 73 minutes.

With penalties looming, Jones’ long ball found substitute Wright outstripping the defence and, with keeper Nathan Whatley stranded, he rolled in the winner.

Lydeard – who also lost 2-1 against Almondsbury last Saturday – visit Ashton & Backwell United this coming Saturday (3pm).