Western Counties (W)

Wellington 25, Bideford 12

THE R&Bs welcomed Bideford to a soggy Athletic Ground last Saturday, writes Allyn Chetland.

Ash Harney came back into the starting XV for the injured Chris Batts, with Cam Venn returning to the bench after injury.

Playing towards the clubhouse in the first half, Bideford started brightly but it was Wellington who struck first.

When a Bideford attack broke down just outside the 22, scrum-half Dan Goldstone produced a superb long clearance kick and, along with winger Nev Pitman, chased hard to put Bideford’s full-back in trouble.

This pressure told when Goldstone charged down the attempted clearance kick then won the race to the loose ball for the opening unconverted try of the game.

This score settled any early nerves and, despite the heavy conditions underfoot, Wellington took control of the game.

Pitman soon crossed for an unconverted try wide out following a well-executed cross field by captain Patrick Jarman to increase the lead.

Bideford tried to get back into the game but gave away a number of penalties in the process.

From one of these penalties, Wellington kicked to touch and Jack Richards crashed over for another unconverted try following an irresistible and unstoppable rolling maul.

At 15-0 up, the R&Bs looked to increase their lead but the impressive Regan Walker was held just short of the line flowing a 35m run.

The visitors then benefited from a charged down clearance kick themselves to cross for unconverted try in the final minute of the half, making it 15-5 at the break.

The hosts were confident going into the second period but Bideford had other ideas and dominated territory and possession for long periods of the half.

Despite this pressure Bideford could not break down the R&Bs' resolute defence and it was the opposite when Wellington got their hands on the ball.

The hosts' attacks always looking threatening and, when Bideford conceded a penalty in front of their posts, full-back Rob Hooper hammered the ball between the posts to extend the lead to 18-3.

This was the spur for the R&Bs to have their purple patch, camping on Bideford’s line for extended periods.

These efforts were rewarded when replacement Josh Hancock used his considerable strength and bulk to cross for the bonus point try, taking three defenders with him in the process.

Hooper made no mistake with the extra points to make it 25-5.

To their credit, Bideford continued to press and they were awarded a penalty try in the dying minutes following an infringement at a scrum, making the final score 25-12 to The R&Bs.

A bonus point win in such heavy conditions against a well organised team was an excellent reward for Wellington's efforts - another performance full of character and hard work, with skill thrown into the mix.

Next week sees Wellington make the short trip south to take on local rivals Cullompton.

The Devon side will be looking to gain revenge for a defeat earlier in the season so another difficult match awaits The R&Bs.

Squad: Richards, Dyke, Marke, Walker (M), Walker (R), Hodgson (W), Phillips, Kitto, Goldstone, Jarman (C), Harney, Gordan, Hodgson (G), Pitman, Hooper, Venn, Hancock, Gamlin

Western Counties (W)

Penryn 49, Wiveliscombe 19

WIVELISCOMBE made the long trip to Penryn for this Western Counties encounter knowing the home team were on a run of good form, writes Roger Bellamy.

Wiveliscombe, on the other hand, had made enforced changes for one reason or another from the team that had played Wellington last week.

The two teams spent the first 10 minutes looking for areas to attack their opponents.

Wiveliscombe's scrum looked solid as always but the home team's backs looked threatening as did their loose support play.

Penryn's captain and No.8 Grant Randlesome opened the scoring, finishing off a good period of handling and back up play by the home team. Sam Carter added the conversion.

Wiveliscombe levelled the score when right wing Thomas Lally gathered a cross field kick from fly-half George Rowe to score in the corner for a try which Rowe converted.

The home team looked increasingly dangerous as the game progressed, especially in the backs, but it was prop Ethan Pattison who scored their second try with a third coming from replacement Paul Saberton.

Sam Carter converted both for a 21-7 half-time lead.

Penryn outscored their visitors by four tries to two in the second half.

Centre Andrew Saviour crossed for two with winger Tom Calley and full-back Kyle Bradley adding one apiece.

Sam Carter converted all the tries to give him a total of 21 points for the game.

Wiveliscombe's two tries came from a set piece move finished off by prop Matt Ellis and an opportunist effort from replacement Trevor Coates.

George Rowe added his second conversion of the game but Wivey finished well beaten.

On Saturday, Wivey head back to Cornwall to take on Saltash.

Somerset 2 (S)

Wiveliscombe 2nd XV 24, Castle Cary 7

WIVELISCOMBE kept their good rungoing with this hard earned victory at Plain Pond.

The home team secured a four-try bonus point win with the visitors providing stern opposition.

Back row forward Jack Enticott led the way with two tries, followed by one each for Jason Richards and Nathan Hemborough.

Two conversions were kicked by Hugh Harris.

Wivey host Wyvern on Saturday.