Somerset Premier Cup
Second round
Taunton Town 2, Bath City 0

TAUNTON Town set up a Somerset Premier Cup quarter-final with Weston-super-Mare by beating a young Bath City side on Tuesday night.

First-half goals from Jamie Short and Dan Sullivan saw off the visitors - the National League South club having sent a team of academy players down for the tie.

Following a minute's applause in honour of Kevin Adams, a loyal Taunton supporter who passed away this week, the Peacocks almost went ahead immediately, only for Ollie Chamberlain's header to be cleared off the line.

Luke Spokes, who recently joined Taunton from Yate Town, then had three chances in as many minutes; one was saved by Bath goalkeeper Harvey Wiles-Richards, the second came back off the woodwork, and he then dragged a shot wide.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 16th minute, as Short broke clear and tucked the ball away past the keeper.

Sullivan then doubled the lead 11 minutes after that, making his way into the box and shooting across Wiles-Richards.

Further chances came and went for Spokes and Sullivan, as the score remained 2-0 at half-time.

Spokes and second-half substitute Matt Wright could easily have had hat-tricks after the break, only to be denied by a combination of Wiles-Richards and the frame of his goal.

The visitors went down to 10 men on 68 minutes, as Shaquile Perkins threw a punch at Owen Irish and was dismissed, while there was a late substitute appearance for 48-year-old coach Michael Meaker, in place of Chamberlain.

Taunton Town: Lloyd Irish (c), Shane White, Callum Watts, Ross Staley, Owen Irish, Jamie Price, Ollie Chamberlain (Michael Meaker 78), Ryan Brett, Dan Sullivan (Matt Wright 46), Jamie Short, Luke Spokes. Subs not used: Andrew Neal, Ben Adelsbury, Matt Villis.

The result means Taunton will now travel to Weston - the team who defeated them in the final of last season’s competition - on a date to be confirmed.

The Peacocks return to league action this Saturday, away to Swindon Supermarine (3pm).