Pre-season friendly match
Taunton Town 0, Bristol City XI 3

TAUNTON Town suffered the first defeat of their pre-season campaign on Monday night, as former loanee Zac Smith opened the scoring for a visiting Bristol City XI.

The Peacocks were without attacking midfielder Luke Spokes, who has left the club for League Two outfit Grimsby Town, managed by Ian Holloway.

The visitors scored after seven minutes at the Cygnet Health Care Stadium, as home goalkeeper Lloyd Irish tipped an effort onto the crossbar and Smith - who impressed in his loan spell at Taunton last season - was there to convert the rebound.

The Peacocks gave as good as they got in an end-to-end first half, but they found themselves 2-0 down six minutes into the second period, as Sam Bell, another player well known to Taunton fans after he scored twice in 4-1 defeat at Yate Town in January, lashed the ball home.

Bristol wrapped up the victory with a third goal, three minutes from time, thanks to Tommy Conway.

Taunton Town: Lloyd Irish, Jake Mawford, Jay Foulston, Jordan Copp, Nick Grimes (c), Jake Wannell, Ollie Chamberlain, Owen Howe, Toby Holmes, Dan Sullivan, Joe Guest. Subs: Lee Lucas, Jamie Short, Gethyn Hill, Ross Staley, Trialist, Trialist.

Taunton's next friendly match is at home to Yeovil Town, this coming Friday, as they continue their build-up to the start of the Southern League season on September 19.


WELLINGTON AFC and Bishops Lydeard have both made forgettable starts to their 2020/21 Western League campaigns.

Wellington were beaten 7-3 away to Cadbury Heath in their Premier Division opener, with Jake Thomas (2) and Ben Brooks putting the hosts into a 3-0 lead.

Jesse Howe pulled one back from the penalty spot, after he himself had been fouled, but then Brooks scored twice more to complete his hat-trick and Luke Bryan scored Cadbury's sixth.

Jamie Vaughan-Ryall and Jason Quick responded for Wellington, both from Miles Quick assists, but the home side had the final word, with a goal from Louis Ward.

First Division side Bishops Lydeard were beaten 3-0 at home by Corsham Town on Saturday, not helped by a first-half red card for Mike Mullen.

Corsham took full advantage, with goals from Chris Allen, Gary Higdon and Will Stead.

Lydeard then travelled to Wells City on Monday night, and lost 2-1.

The visitors levelled at 1-1 through Cahal Robertson, but goals from Randall and Moon won it for Wells.