Toolstation Western League
Premier Division
Plymouth Parkway 2, Wellington AFC 2

WELLINGTON will, quite rightly, be delighted with a point away to runway leaders Plymouth Parkway on Saturday afternoon.

It could easily have been all three, mind you, as the Tangerines led 2-1 with seven minutes to go, only for the hosts to save themselves from the penalty spot.

Parkway had won nine times and drawn once in their opening 10 league games, and a 6-1 thumping of Wellington three weeks before had contributed to their goal difference of +29.

But, for all their Southern League experience, they were fortunate to get a point on this occasion, as the Tangerines put in one of the best performances in recent years.

Levi Landricombe twice came close in the opening 25 minutes, hitting the crossbar and then being denied by the outstretched leg of visiting goalkeeper Tom Welch, but the 26th minute saw Wellington take a shock lead.

Captain Glen Wright worked the ball down the left-hand side before sending in a cross for Miles Quick to side-foot home from 12 yards.

The hosts levelled seven minutes before half-time, Ryan Richard converting a penalty after a cross had bounced up and hit Josh Champion, but the away side were ahead again with a goal in first-half stoppage time.

Dan Williams’ header struck the post, and Jesse Howe squeezed the ball over the line following a goalmouth scramble.

Unsurprisingly, Parkway threw the kitchen sink at the Wellington goal after the break, and Welch pulled off a couple of superb saves to keep out efforts from Richards and River Allen.

With seven minutes to go, the home side were awarded a second spot-kick as the referee spotted an infringement at a corner, and Richards again did the business.

It was backs-to-the-wall for the Tangerines in the time remaining - including six minutes of injury time - but they held out for a fantastic point.

Wellington: Tom Welch, Josh Champion, Tim Legg, Jason Quick, Jack Lewis, Ollie Holman, Glen Wright, Miles Quick, Scott Merritt, Dan Williams, Jesse Howe. Subs (all used): Cameron Sanford, Mason Raymond, Josh Baker.

Wellington sit 17th in the table, albeit six points clear of the bottom three teams, going into tomorrow's (Wednesday, 7.45pm) match at home to Tavistock.

That fixture is followed by another home match, against Cribbs this time, on Saturday (3pm).


Toolstation Western League
Division 1
Calne Town 2, Bishops Lydeard 0

BISHOPS Lydeard remain just three points off the foot of the table, after suffering their eighth defeat in nine league games this season.

There were few surprises in the first half, as third-placed Calne Town put in a better performance and took a 2-0 lead.

The opener came in the 11th minute, when Matty Jenkins headed home a corner, and Jenkins had his and Calne's second in the 25th minute, after a mix-up in the Lydeard defence.

The second half was a very different matter, as the Bishops played some free-flowing, passing football that thwarted Calne's gameplan, as their manager generously admitted after the game.

The visiting defence kept the home attack under control, with Mark Cornish, Luke Bryant and goalkeeper Nathan Whatley leading by example for their younger colleagues.

Lydeard once again suffered from a lack of firepower up front, however, with the only really effective second-half effort from either side coming in the 70th minute, when a shot rattled Whatley's crossbar.

Bishops Lydeard squad: Jesus Alves, Luke Boyle, Luke Bryant, Mark Cornish, Jack Groves-Furse, Jack Kelly, Sam Mockridge, Amauri Ruiz, Nathan Whatley, Harry Scatchard, Reegan Scotcher, Jake Damiranda.

Lydeard host Sherborne Town on Saturday (3pm).