Uhlsport Somerset County League
Division 1
Burnham United 0, Minehead AFC 0

HIGHER-PLACED Burnham United started the game on the front foot and, with the game only a few minutes old, Josh Watkins ghosted in late at the far post but side-footed a good opportunity wide of the goal-frame.

After taking a while to settle and find a rhythm, the Blues had two opportunities when firstly Kye Toogood and then Ben Aston broke through between the lines of the home defence, but on both occasions home keeper Steve Bailey came to Burnham’s rescue by blocking the one-on-one goal attempts.

Just before the break Bailey gave Minehead a golden opportunity when he came a long way out of the six-yard box in search of a deep corner and, having missed the centre, a chance fell to Aston, who might have done better at the far post but put the loose ball wide of the open goal from what was, admittedly, an acute angle.

During the second half Minehead failed to stretch the home defence as they had done on occasions during the first 45, and Joe Selway continued to influence the game from his elevated midfield position.

The game continued to be evenly matched until the final 10 minutes, when Henry Murrell was introduced from the bench and the Blues attack, which had been too narrow for much of the second half, made inroads through the home defence.

Potential half-chances to break the deadlock were spurned, with the best opportunity having been created by a good move from deep and a positive run and pass from Murrell, which saw Ellis Shaw outpace the home defence, but keeper Bailey cleverly blocked the final shot and Minehead had to settle for a point.

Burnham United: Steven Bailey, Cameron Birch, Benjamin Gates, Harry Hamblin, Lewis Hembery, Russell Holley, Kane Powell, Matthew Redman, Joe Selway, Ryan Stiles, Josh Watkins. Subs (used): Curtis Bradshaw, Harry Ratcliffe, Michael Stevens.

Minehead: Kyran Wilkins, Lowell Binnie, Rob Vickers, Stefan Philips, Tristan Hawkins, Matt Cracknell, Callum Barnfield, Guy Burns, Ben Aston, Kye Toogood, Ellis Shaw. Subs (used): Henry Murrell, Braden Taylor.

Next up for Burnham is a visit to Welton Rovers Reserves this coming Saturday, for a 2pm kick-off.

Minehead are set to travel to Street’s Tannery Ground on Saturday (2pm), to face the Cobblers’ Reserves.