WELLINGTON footballer Tom Nichols scored in vain as Crawley Town's FA Cup run was ended by AFC Bournemouth at the fourth round stage.

Nichols, who attended Court Fields School in his youth, had helped Crawley stun Premier League outfit Leeds United 3-0 in the previous round, but Championship side Bournemouth prevailed 2-1 on Tuesday night.

League Two club Crawley had not actually played since their win over Leeds a fortnight ago, due to a Covid-19 outbreak, which left them without five players for this tie.

The hosts went ahead on 24 minutes, as former Arsenal and West Ham midfielder Jack Wilshere scored his first goal in 18 months, and the Cherries continued to dominate thereafter.

They could not add a second, however, and Nichols - who had already been denied by goalkeeper Asmir Begovic and had penalty appeals waved away - equalised in the 59th minute.

A well-worked move culminated with Josh Wright heading the ball to Nichols and he finished with a side-footed volley from close range.

Crawley were only level for six minutes, however, as Arnaut Danjuma and David Brooks combined for Josh King to find the net.

That proved enough for Bournemouth to secure a fifth-round trip to Burnley, but Nichols and his team-mates had impressed once again.

"It could have gone either way at one stage and at other times it looked like it would be 16-0 to them," said Crawley manager John Yems.

"We've had our moment in the sun, and we come here tonight and we're disappointed to lose."

There was disappointment for ex-Taunton Town goalkeeper Matt Urwin, too, as he was unable to help Non-League side Chorley pull off a giant-killing against Premier League outfit Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The National League North team were in the fourth round for the first time in their history, having defeated a Covid-19-depleted Derby County two weeks previously.

They faced a much stiffer task here, as despite Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo making six changes from their last league match, they still fielded England international Conor Coady, European Championship winner Joao Moutinho and £37 million signing Fabio Silva.

Chorley had the first effort on goal inside the first minute, but Elliot Newby's shot was comfortably saved by visiting keeper John Ruddy, and Wolves took the lead after 12 minutes.

Vitinha, a 20-year-old midfielder on loan from Porto, unleashed a powerful shot from 35 yards that swerved in the air, and Urwin could only get a fingertip to the effort as it flew into the net.

Urwin - who played for Taunton in 2012, on loan from Blackburn Rovers - had little else to do for the rest of the match, as that proved to be Wolves' only shot on target.

Come the second half, a triple substitution saw Ruben Neves, Adama Traore and Pedro Neto introduced, as Chorley made life uncomfortable for their visitors.

The home side could not equalise, however, with Ruddy denying Connor Hall and Andy Halls to seal a 1-0 win and set up a fifth-round tie with Southampton.

Afterwards, Chorley's Connor Hall told BT Sport: "I thought we were the better team in the second half.

"We had them on the ropes for 10-15 minutes, so we can be proud of ourselves.

"We got the news yesterday that the league is taking a two-week break, so if this is the last game of the season, we have done ourselves proud."