TAUNTON Town were in ruthless form this week in March 2016, as they hammered Bashley 11-0 in Division 1 South & West of the Southern League.

They could have been more clinical, though, with dozens of chances being created against hapless (and relegation-bound) opponents at Wordsworth Drive.

The opening goal came after 12 minutes, through Craig Veal, and Lewis Powell bagged the second from Lewis Waldy’s assist.

Captain Jamie Price’s glancing header made it 3-0 on the half-hour, and Veal converted Brett Trowbridge’s cross for number four just before the break.

Powell and Jamie Short scored the fifth and sixth goals, at which point Taunton’s leading scorer Jordan Rogers came off the bench to join the fun.

But it was Price who netted the next two, thus completing a hat-trick, before Rogers volleyed in number nine.

With five minutes to go, Ollie Chamberlain brought up double figures, and his second - right on the final whistle - completed the rout and the home fans’ entertainment for the night.


Somerset County Gazette:

PICTURED above are the Richard Huish College girls football team who were celebrating becoming the Somerset college five-a-side champions, this week in 2001.

The Taunton students did not do it the easy way, mind you - as they came through two nail-biting games by winning penalty shoot-outs!

Both the semi-final, against Bath College, and the final, versus Yeovil College, had ended as drawn matches.

And so spot-kicks were required both times... and both times it was the Richard Huish girls who held their nerve best from the penalty spot to the triumph.

Pictured are (from left to right): back row - Carolyn Betty, Hannah Friend, Lorraine Abbot, Katie Walsh; front row - Fran Hughes, Catherine Edmonds, Hannah Maddocks.

Squad members not in photo: Marie Campbell, Laura Linnell.


NORTON Fitzwarren suffered an agonising exit in the Somerset Intermediate Cup back in March 1991, losing 4-2 against Langport Town after extra time.

It was a spirited effort from the Taunton Saturday League side, but it was Langport who finished the semi-final the stronger to progress to the final.

Elsewhere that week, Priorswood United Reserves’ hopes of a league and cup double were dashed when they lost 3-2 at home to North Petherton, in the semi-finals of the Seward Cup.

Paddy Verncombe was the main man for Petherton, scoring a hat-trick against the runaway Division 4 leaders.

And in the second round of the Gardner Cup, Division 1 outfit Sydenham eased to a 4-1 victory away to Hinkley Point from the division below; Andy Parker, Gerard Noble, Frank McGann and an own goal won it for Sydenham.

Somerset County Gazette:

Pictured above are the Norton Fitzwarren players (from left to right): back row - Gary Elson (club linesman), Kevin Lewis, Nick Kearley, Phil Durston, Steve Bennett, Steve Baker, Wayne Oliver, Chas Chandler (landlord, Ring of Bells - sponsor); front row - Malcolm Green (secretary), Steve Berry, Jay Liscombe, Colin Merrick (captain), Alan Fletcher, Wayne Corrick, Martin Walkinshaw, Ian Ware.