Welton Rovers Reserves 0-1 Minehead

A GRITTY performance by a depleted Minehead side was rewarded by three hard earned points following their first away match of the season at West Clewes on Saturday afternoon.

Facing a Welton Rovers Reserve XI who had competently beaten The Blues in the corresponding fixture towards the end of last season, Minehead knew they would have a hard game on their hands.

The hosts might have opened the scoring after ten minutes when centre forward Jed Parfitt headed wide from a good position, but Minehead responded well with Olly Prescott breaking through a solid pair of central defenders to accept a perfect through ball, but his shot from twelve yards was comfortable for Richard Hurd.

A huge goal kick from Kyran Wilkins saw Guy Burns time his run through the home defenders to perfection, but his lob from 35 yards just cleared the bar and nestled on the top of the net with Hurd beaten.

Parfitt continued to be Welton’s danger man and the main thorn in The Blues’ side but he found Wilkins in good form and the keeper blocked his next attempt when faced with a one on one.

With the hosts enjoying slightly more of the play it was Minehead who took the lead when another perfect through ball allowed Prescott to break through the defensive lines once more and this time, cutting in from a wide position the youngster beat two recovering defenders in the box and slotted confidently home to give his side the lead on the half hour.

Moments later, with Minehead looking able to pass their way through the home defence at will, Kamil Wilk almost doubled the lead but his shot from eight yards came back off the foot of the post.

Towards the end of the first half, it was Guy Burns’ turn to be slotted in, but his shot was delayed and the opportunity lost.

Early in the second half with Welton pushing had for the equaliser Wilkins came to the Blues’ rescue twice; firstly, a reflex save at the far post blocked Parfitt’s attempt then five minutes later he blocked another one on one attempt from the same player with his feet.

Burns went close to adding to Minehead’s lead when he brought another save out of Hurd near his post after the Blues’ striker had beaten the last defender.

Minehead faced strong pressure towards the end of the game but with central defenders Rob Vickers and Mike Graddon both having outstanding performances throughout, supported impressively by teenage defenders Bertie Harvey-Larmar and Liam Thorne, both making their first starts for the first XI, The Blues held firm to hold on to the points and win their fourth game out of five this season.