Taunton Warriors 34-23 Winscombe RFC

TAUNTON Warriors put in a strong performance over the Easter weekend to defeat Winscombe in the Somerset Cup.

It was an attacking game which saw both sides create plenty of opportunities going forward.

The visitors managed to score the first try after a number of Warriors penalties gave them good field position to score.

Taunton continued in the same way moving the ball away from the very dominant Winscombe pack which resulted in the magic footwork and pace of Ben Fenton who scored a try to level the scores. 

This only lasted two minutes as some missed tackles allowed the Winscombe scrum half room around the base of the ruck to burst through and race away for the try. 

Just four minutes later and yet another penalty against the Warriors saw Winscombe extend their lead and their formidable pack start to dominate. 

This did not prevent Winscombe extending their lead on 23 minutes when their centre Will Pearce burst through from his own ten metre line to score. 

He did have to leave the pitch and be replaced to allow him time to recover from the exertion. 

Soon after Wayne Sprangle went in for an unconverted try leaving the half-time score Warriors 10 Winscombe 18.

A young lad called Ben Cohen came on at outside half for there-start and he hoisted a high kick which was chased down by the Warriors athletic second rows to make a successful challenge which resulted in a Taunton penalty. 

The awareness of Connor Banks recognising we were being pushed off our own scrum ball, saw him take a quick tap and with Mike Owen in support the try was scored.  Ben Cohen converted and suddenly Warriors were just1-point behind. 

The lead came just 3 minutes later when at last Jack Connor was given early ball and his strength and pace took him from the half-way line to score and give the Warriors the lead. 

Winscombe with their forward dominance attacked but the Warriors defence held out. 

Josh Court, the only recognised front row forward went over on his ankle and Mike Owen had to come up to prop. 

The Warriors now had a complete backrow in the front row and so the Warriors with what possession they had constantly moved the ball. 

It was on the hour that we probably saw the best try of the game.  Tom Labdon with his size burst through two tackles then with the pace of a winger raced to the line with the last line of defence he gave the biggest sidestep to score.

From there, the Warriors held on for a deserving win.