National One Rugby: Taunton Titans 14-29 Richmond

TAUNTON Titans were defeated at home at the weekend in the National One Rugby match against Richmond.

The visitors were too strong in the match and the defeat leaves Taunton without a win in the opening three fixtures.

Two minutes in Richmond took the lead far too easily with a try down the middle, and it was converted for 0-7.

Sam Prior was shown a yellow card in the fifth minute after an unintentional lift of a player in the breakdown.

For the time that Prior was off the pitch, Taunton consolidated and got their heads back in the game.

Defensively they improved but going forward was difficult with a man less. Richmond did go close in that period but luckily for the Titans they gave away a attacking penalty on the try line.

Prior came back on to the pitch 15 minutes in and shortly after Richmond went further in front from a penalty goal after Taunton gave away a series of penalties.

In the 23rd minute after winning the short kick off, Taunton were on the score board through Charlie Wright under the posts. Frankie dart converted to make it 7-10.

After a period of back and forth from both sides in the middle of the pitch the visitors  were able to find space behind the line to cross for a second try.

They kept the ball alive with a couple of offloads and spread it wide to cross in the corner. It was unconverted and the score was 7-15.

Richmond had all of the ball in the right spots for the rest of the half but some stubborn defending and perhaps a bit of luck kept them out. At the break the score remained 7-15.

Taunton started the second half on the front foot and in the 44th minute Taunton Toby Clinch picked up an opportunist try next to the posts and Dart converted to make it 14-15.

From this point Taunton looked to gain the upper hand and they did improve their possession of the ball, but Richmond put in some strong tackles to keep the attacks at bay.

And the away side made Taunton pay with a try in the 55th minute after winning the line out and mauling the ball over the line. The conversion attempt was made and the score was 14-22.

The Titans were quick to snap back into action and Prior went agonisingly close to scoring but dropped the ball over the line. This chance was setup after an incredible line break from Greg Kitson who enjoyed a solid game.

Richmond gained back control of the affair as time carried on, and it was clear Taunton’s grasp on the match was slipping.

And with two minutes to go the visitors picked up their fourth try of the match and an extra bonus point, it too was converted and the score was 14-29.