National One Rugby: Taunton Titans 21-53 Chinnor RFC

THIS was a classic game of two halves during the first of which the hosts were a match for high flying Chinnor and created more  chances to lead at the interval, writes Richard Walsh.

However the Oxfordshire based club stepped up a gear in the second half and took full advantage of a couple of defensive errors to run out the comfortable winners.

After beating Rosslyn Park in their last home game Titan fans were hoping for more of the same and they weren’t disappointed when after four minutes Noah Fenton ran in from outside the 22 to touch down for a try which Sam Prior converted.

After 15 minutes Chinnor moved  the ball well across their backs and were soon deep into Titan territory but the home defence held firm. The hosts countered well and after a good break down the left they were awarded a penalty following a Chinnor player being carded. Unfortunately Titans were unable to make the most of their chance.

The visitors were soon back on the attack and after gaining a line out following a penalty that was kicked to touch Walker went over in the left hand corner for an unconverted try.

Titans enjoyed several forays into Chinnor territory but were unable to turn their opportunities into points.

With five minutes until the interval Bourton broke from his own half their own half and moved the ball quickly until it reached Goss who went over for a try to the left of the posts, which Bourton added the extras to.

With the minutes ticking down to half time Titan replacement Greg Kitson found himself in space down the left wing and ran in from 30 metres to score a try which Prior converted making it 14-12 at the break.

Titans came out strongly for the second half and almost from the kick off extended their lead when Ratu Vakalutukali made a strong run down the right side, laid the ball off before it found its way back to him in the middle and then crashed over for a try which Prior added the extras to.

At 21-12 Titans were looking in a strong position, but sadly for them from this point on it was Chinnor who were mostly in the ascendancy.

On 45 minutes minutes an error in the Titans defence led to a Chinnor scrum on the 10 metre line from which Ryan went over to score a try that Bourton converted.

Shortly after Bourton made a strong run, sidestepped a couple of tackles to score another try for Chinnor which he then converted before slotting home a penalty  which made the score 21-29.

Chinnor looked dangerous every time they attacked and on 55 minutes Walker scored a try which Bourton converted. Feeney 

The visitors were now very much in control of the game and in the 65th minute Feeny scored to the right of the posts, which the trusty boot of Bourne converted.

With 10 minutes to go the hosts were reduced to 14 after having a player carded and from the resulting penalty Bourne extended the lead.

Despite trailing Titans kept their shape well and in the last few minutes mounted a couple of attacks which the Chinnor defence repelled.

In the dying minutes Gillespie burst through and went over for a try to bring up the Chinnor half century which Bourne converted as the game ended 21-53 to the visitors.