Somerset Division One: Minehead AFC 1-1 Ashcott

Whilst Ashcott tended to look the more structured team, Minehead created the lions’ share of the chances during a contest that flowed from end to end, writes Brian Walder.

The hosts took the lead after thirteen minutes when a direct run from the halfway line by Hubi Wejnerowski saw him cut through the Ashcott defence, and courtesy of two slick one-two’s with team-mates he was swiftly through on goal where he made no mistake in beating Ashcott keeper Colin McPherson from ten yards out.

Shortly afterwards The Blues should have doubled their lead when another well drilled one-two with Sam Heath put Tiago Alipio through on goal, but his shot was a yard wide of the post. After this, with the players responsible for scoring 22 of this seasons’ 26 goals not available, Minehead went close to increasing their lead, but with no cigar.

After half an hour’s play, a Charlie Purvis challenge inside the box was then dubiously defined as a foul by the referee and Benjamin Culverhouse levelled the scores from twelve yards.  With the visitors now enjoying their best spell in the game Bertie Harvey-Larmar kept the scores level by blocking a shot on the goal-line as Minehead soaked up some pressure.

Shortly before the break Aaron Merry combined well with George Sinnott but the wide-man’s shot rebounded off the keepers’ legs.

Early in the second half Wejnerowski missed a good chance to double his side’s tally and shortly afterwards Merry’s shot was well saved by McPherson.

With teenagers Lewis Goodrum and James Knight replacing Alipio and fellow teenager Alfie Lyons Minehead kept pressing and Sinnott missed a golden opportunity to gain the advantage when a miscued clearance gave him an open goal to shoot at but his effort from close to the touchline from 35 yards was wide.

The experienced striker soon left the pitch with a hamstring problem ten minutes later to be replaced by another teenager Lewis Burge but neither side was able to find a winning goal so the available points were shared.

Minehead: Adam Jones, Bertie Harvey-Larmar, Toby Morris, Charlie Purvis, Ryan Wilkins, Sam Heath, Alfie Lyons, Hubi Wejnerowski, Aaron Merry, Tiago Alipio, George Sinnott
Subs: Lewis Goodrum, Lewis Burge, James Knight (All Used)

Man of the Match was awarded to Toby Morris for his performance over the ninety minutes.

Next Saturday Minehead travel to play Yatton and Cleeve United in search of their first win since September, in the hope that the return of several key players including top scorer Guy Burns will change their fortunes.