Uhlsport Somerset Division One: Minehead 2-2 Burnham United

IN probably the most attractive game seen at The Rec so far this season, eleventh placed Minehead faced very organised opposition in third placed Burnham, who had been top of the table earlier in the season, writes Brian Walder.

The Blues worked hard to get on top from the kick off, probing well from midfield and effectively using both flanks on the wide Recreation Ground pitch, and after ten minutes it was Sam Heath who opened the scoring by returning a poor kick from visiting keeper Tom Edwards into the largely unguarded Irnham Road goal.

Led ably by their captain Joe Selway, a seasoned striker who has this season dropped back into a central midfield role, Burnham showed why they are having a good season, but mid-table Minehead stuck to their guns and gave a good account of themselves, persistently taking the game to their opponents.

However, in their first meaningful attack after 12 minutes Burnham equalised when defender Ben Gates slammed home from the edge of the box after a well worked, incisive attack, giving Adam Jones little chance.

Guy Burns then saw his well struck shot from twenty yards tipped over the bar for a fruitless corner, and shortly afterwards the Blues’ top scorer headed marginally over the bar from a perfect Rob Vickers cross, with the referee failing to spot a substantial nudge on the striker whilst he met with the cross.

At the other end it was Burnham’s marauding left back Gates’ turn to be in the limelight again when his effort during a melee following a corner kick was well blocked by a defender.

A very deliberate curler from Selway around the half hour mark, which deceived not only the supporters along the top line but more importantly Minehead’s keeper Jones who thought it was going wide, the effort crept just inside the post to put the visitors ahead.

A quarter of an hour into the second half a defence splitting run from Burns ended with him supplying a perfect pass to Vickers who sent his own accurate curler past the keeper to bring the scores level.

The entertaining game continued with a fine block from Jones’ knees to prevent Burnham going ahead again, then his counterpart at the other end similarly blocked an attempt from Burns with his legs.

Towards the end of the game Minehead introduced Olly Prescott, and their two new signings Harry Perren and Reegan Scotcher from the bench, replacing Burns, Benn Bartlett and Charlie Purvis respectively, but neither side did quite enough to claim all three points though both sides could feel their endeavours would warrant more than a draw on another day.

Minehead: Adam Jones, Charlie Purvis, Toby Morris, Ryan Wilkins, Luke Badcock, Benn Bartlett, Hubi Wejnerowski, Stefan Philips, Guy Burns, Rob Vickers, Sam Heath
Subs: Harry Perren, Ollie Prescott, Reegan Scotcher (All Used) Alfie Lyons