Cinderford 40, Taunton Titans 31.

Taunton were the visitors up in the Forest of Dean at Cinderford, with both teams recognising the importance of the result.

Playing into a stiff southwesterly breeze, Titans turned down a penalty shot and went for the corner, where Connor Banks opened the scoring and Frankie Dart added the extras from wide out.

Within two minutes Cinderford were level following an error by the visitors.

Possession, territory and determination led to an unconverted second Cinderford try on 17 minutes.

Titans hit straight back with an opportunist pick up and go from a scrum eight metres out resulting in a try for Charlie Wright to level the score at 12 points each.

Cinderford then went seven points ahead when Taunton were unable to defend their line.

And on 30 minutes the home side scored their bonus point try from a simple catch and drive.

With half time approaching Noah Fenton touched down for the Titans following a break and assist by Toots Vakalutukali, with Dart adding the extra two points.

Titans secured their try bonus five minutes into the second half with Wright's second of the afternoon and Dart's conversion levelled the score at 26 all.

A kickable penalty was missed on 62 minutes, but two minutes later a break out by Banks was taken on by Brian Ncube, Dart and Deago Bailey, who forced his way over for a debut try, giving the away team a 31-26 lead with 16 minutes left.

But that was as good as it got for Taunton, with Cinderford regaining the lead with a converted try following a succession of lost lineouts.

Then six minutes from time, Taunton conceded a penalty try and in doing so lost a player to the sin bin, making the final score 40-31 to Cinderford.

Fenton, who is the division's leading scorer with 17 tries, was starved of the ball in the second half, which did not go unnoticed among the Taunton faithful.

Upcoming this Saturday is the visit of Plymouth, who sit third in the table.

Titans will need to be at their very best to repel the city side in this local derby.