WEPL Somerset Division
Wellington 281-9 beat Minehead 209 by 72 runs

WELLINGTON secured a vital win and moved towards the middle of the table with a 71-run win over Minehead on Saturday, writes David Derrick.

Wellington were invited to bat first on a hard Minehead wicket and Kayden Hine continued his form from midweek with some crisp drives.

It was a surprise to everybody, including the Minehead keeper, when he nicked behind with first slip showing quick reflexes to take the catch off the keeper’s body.

Robin Davies joined Arron Campbell and Wellington passed 100 only one wicket down to ensure a good platform was set.

Davies was then caught behind for 30 before Campbell was caught and bowled for 42 and, after a short break for rain, Trott and Evett continued on from where the top order left off.

Trott swept well against the spinners while Evett left the Minehead fielders frustrated and Wellington batsmen gasping for air with his rapid speed between the wickets.

Trott fell for 34 but Luke Desave (25) and Mark Bray (27) ensured Wellington were closing in on a score in excess of 250.

Evett fell just short of a deserved half-century for 47 but Aks Latifi with some lusty blows ensured Wellington finished the innings strongly and they went into tea with 281 to defend.

With a good pitch and lightning outfield Wellington knew they needed a good start, and Luke Desave stepped up with two early wickets.

He was well supported by Will Derrick who was unlucky to go wicketless in his first spell.

A double change saw Jack Beal and Ian Hewson come into the attack. Beal worked up good pace from the top end and removed the dangerous Muggeridge and Taylor.

With Hewson mixing his pace well and keeping things tight the pressure was building on Minehead.

The introduction of spin from Arron Campbell accounted for the next two Minehead wickets and Wellington were on top with the hosts on 130-6.

Bowditch and Tudball brought Minehead back into the game, despite the best efforts of Hewson, and with 10 overs to go, Minehead needed 80 more to win.

It was to the relief of Wellington’s players when Campbell dismissed Bowditch for 65 and Will Derrick came back to finish the game with a run out and the final wicket.

Minehead were dismissed for 209 and Wellington picked up 20 points - this Saturday they host Wembdon (1pm).


WEPL Somerset Division
Wembdon 228-7 beat Staplegrove 227-9 by 3 wkts

AN unbeaten 70 from Harry Graydon failed to save Staplegrove from defeat at Wembdon on Saturday.

Batting first, Tom Pantling was out before a run was scored but the early innings was rescued by Jake Pantling (37) and Jo Pantling (33), who took the score on to 83.

However, another middle order collapse saw the Grove plunge to 121-7 before No 8 Graydon came to the crease to launch a fine comeback.

As wickets fell about him, he finally found a partner in last man Ryan Cleverly.

Together, they took the total from 165-9 to 227 to give their attack something to bowl at.

Cleverly remained unbeaten on 15.

Josh Henry ended with 3-29 off 10, while there were two wickets apiece for Jon Brockwell and Dan Bingham.

Wembdon’s reply began in much the same way as Ian Bishop trapped the dangerous Bingham lbw for a duck.

When Jae Stone soon followed, bowled by Ryan Cleverly, a Grove win looked possible.

But, the match-winning stand followed as Wembdon skipper Brockwell and Sam Puddy took control.

They put on 152 runs before both were out in quick succession, Brockwell the victim of Tom Pantling for 87 and Puddy claimed by Josh Riley for 79.

Matt Dimond added two wickets before a run out caused panic in the Wembdon pavilion.

Josh Henry then came in to stop the rot and, together with Aaron Rees, they edged the home side to victory with four overs remaining.

On Saturday, Staplegrove entertain Temple Cloud (1pm start).