WEPL Somerset Division
Bridgwater 225-6 v Wellington 55-6 (no result)

WELLINGTON are lying in joint bottom spot in the Somerset Division of the West of England Premier League following this drawn match with Bridgwater 2nds last weekend when the rain, as in so many other games, came and washed away proceedings, writes David Derrick.

The game had started in cloudy, but dry conditions and saw Bridgwater’s second string asked to bat first.

An opening stand of 44 was composed by Dominic Court (26) and Scott Clapp (36) before Thom Trott’s catch off of Ian Hewson gave Wellington their first wicket.

Ben Coombes joined Court and took the score to nearly 100 before Neil Hendy (3-33 in 10 overs) made a double breakthrough, and at 126-6 Bridgwater were in a spot of bother as Hendy and Arron Campbell’s off spin (1-31 in eight overs) made things tough.

But the Bridgwater lower order kicked on and 50 not out from E.Habberfield and 33 from Devitt saw that their last two wickets added 99 runs to make it to 225-7 at tea in 50 overs.

Wellington’s innings lasted only 16 overs before the weather swept in and saw it abandoned as a draw; in what play was possible Kayden Hine hit a robust 22 for Wellington and Bridgwater’s skipper Ian Higgins to took 4-19 in seven overs as Wellington took nine points to Bridgwater’s 14. 

WEPL Somerset Division
Chard 110 v Staplegrove (no result)

IAN Bishop starred for Staplegrove as they skittled Chard for 110 on Saturday before rain brought an end to proceedings at the halfway stage.

Having won the toss and chosen to field, the visitors watched Chard put on 21 for the first wicket before Matthew Dimond had Nathan Johnson (3) caught by Ian Bishop.

Bishop then took control with the ball, claiming the next five wickets to fall as the hosts slipped to 83-6, Bishop finishing with 5-10 from his 10 overs.

Thomas Pantling was next to add his name to the wickets column as he claimed a return catch off his own bowling to remove home skipper Scott Wells-Burr, and Ryan Cleverly (2-26) wrapped up the tail to leave Staplegrove 111 to win.

Unfortunately for the visitors, the run chase never got started as the weather intervened, meaning Grove were forced to settle for 13 points to their opponents’ six.

This Saturday, Staplegrove are on the road again as they travel to second-placed North Perrott.