CHIP lovers are being urged to take care when they indulge in one of the nation’s favourite foods.
Throughout National Chip Week, Devon and Somerset Fire bosses are warning people not to leave chip pans unattended... or use them all together.
They say a simple switch to using an oven can prevent a disaster.
Fire investigation officer Mike Burroughs said: “From the chip shop to the kitchen table, chips will quite rightly be on the menu this week. But the smallest distraction when using a hot chip pan could lead to a fire in a matter of moments.
“Oven chips are a safer and healthier way to enjoy your favourite, but if you do choose to deep fat fry please don’t leave the pan unattended.
“If your pan does catch light, don’t throw water over it– get out, stay out and call 999.”
For more advice, see dsfire.gov.uk