A TAKEAWAY food shop was destroyed in a fire.

Firefighters were called to the incident in High Street, Crediton, at around 7.30 yesterday, Wednesday, May 28.

The fire involved a deep fat fryer and steel flue.

Crews cut away a flat roof to prevent the spread of the fire.

Police attended to provide traffic control.

The shop of the two-storey building was completely destroyed and half of the upstairs flat was smoke damaged.

The cause was accidental, according to Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.