A MUM has spoken of the horrifying moment she realised her flat was on fire - with her two children also inside.
Sara Parsons was at her flat in Creedwell Orchard, Milverton, talking with her neighbour when they both realised that a fire was eating away at her living room.
The mum-of-two said she didn’t realise the flat was on fire until neighbour Phil Parkyn heard a bang at around 7.30pm on Saturday night.
The fire came from the balcony and it is currently not known how it started.
“It was terrifying, my boys were in the bedroom, I was talking to my neighbour and all of a sudden he heard a bang, I ran into the living room and screamed,” said 49-year-old Miss Parsons.
“We’ve got no idea what caused it, it could be electrical.”
Miss Parsons says her sons Adam, 13, and 22-year-old Liam have been left very shaken up by the incident.
She added: “I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.
“I’ve lost all my photographs of the boys when they were younger, my brand new sofa is ruined, and my balcony is destroyed.
“But we are alive and no one was hurt, that is the most important thing.”
Miss Parsons, who had lived at the flat for nearly four years, used to spend every morning on her beloved balcony.
“It was my pride and joy, I had it looking lovely, I’d sit out there every morning with my coffee, with the morning sun beaming over,” she said.
“It was so relaxing and beautiful.”
Three crews from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue were sent to the incident and arrived to find flames billowing from the balcony.
The living room was 100 per cent smoke damaged and had 25 per cent fire damage, the service said.
“All I can think is how it could have been so much worse if it had happened when we were all asleep,” added Miss Parsons, who is currently living in a hotel with her family.
“The fire alarms took a while to turn on and my window is right next to the balcony.
“If it wasn’t for my neighbours that helped out I don’t know what I would have done.
“Everyone has been so lovely and supportive.
“I’m very grateful.”