FIREFIGHTERS in Taunton were kept busy yesterday after being called out to deal with two kitchen fires.

The first took place on Cheddon Road, Taunton, at 2pm.

Two engines were called to a fire in the kitchen of a ground-floor flat.

The fire was extinguished using two breathing apparatus wearers, one hose reel jet and one safety jet.

A thermal image camera was used to check for hotspots and a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to clear the air.

The cause of the fire is said to be accidental which resulted in 10 per cent fire damage to the kitchen and 100 per cent smoke damage.

The second fire took place 40 minutes later on Bindon Road where it was believed people could still be inside.

Engines from Taunton and Wellington arrived to find all people were accounted for but smoke and flames bellowed from the property.

The kitchen was 100 per cent damaged by the fire and 60 per cent heat damage to the rest of the ground floor.

The accidental fire was extinguished using four breathing apparatus wearers, two hose reel jets, one safety jet, and a thermal imagine camera.

The British Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicle was mobilised to support the occupants of the property.