Errea County Premier

Langford Rovers 0, Minehead 1

A PLUCKY performance from bottom-of-the-table Langford Rovers was finally seen off by a Chris Newbold goal ten minutes from time, earning Minehead three points and another league double.

Taking the game to their opponents from the start, Minehead opened in lively fashion and, a few minutes in, good work from Aaron Deeks resulted in him threading the ball through to strike partner Guy Burns. However, with just the keeper to beat, the Blues’ top scorer blasted the ball wide from six yards out.

With less than a quarter of an hour gone, Minehead lost Jack Groves-Furse to a hamstring injury, being replaced by teenager Mike Graddon, who had been missing from the squad in recent weeks due to a suspension.

With Minehead looking likeliest to score, they could have taken the lead on three more occasions inside a minute of each other, when firstly Burns had an effort cleared off the line after a perfect cross from Martyn Phillips, then Deeks was twice thwarted by two fine saves by home keeper Matt Hill, having superbly created openings for himself.

At the opening of the second half, the Blues kept up the pressure on the home side and Craig Carr went close after another good move had split the home defence.

Substitute Mike Graddon was booked for a rash challenge on Langford player manager Mark Mckeever, and the teenager was then fortunate to not be shown another yellow for a challenge inside the box on Leigh White.

The challenge resulted in the home side being awarded a penalty kick, which was blasted high over the bar by Dan Hartley. Martyn Phillips was shown the yellow card by the referee for his remonstrations about the decision.

Another teenage substitute, Ben Robinson, then replaced Phillips for the remaining 14 minutes and, with the game now swinging from end to end, a fine run from Deeks which took him past a couple of defenders ended with him pulling the ball back from the byeline to the on-rushing Chris Newbold who side-footed home at the near post.

The Blues managed to keep the home side from equalising for the remaining ten minutes, deservedly coming away with all three points, though the performance did not really reach the heights of recent ones.

Minehead: Kyran Wilkins, Luke Bloys, Rob Gurnett, Chris Newbold, Lee Todd, Mike Mullen, Martyn Phillips, Jack Groves-Furse, Craig Carr, Guy Burns, Aaron Deeks. Subs: Mike Graddon (8,14), Ben Robinson (7,76).

Man of the match: Aaron Deeks.

Athletic spring a surprise MINEHEAD Reserves, who had won their last five matches in Division 2 of the Taunton & District Saturday League, surprisingly became the first club this season to lose a league match against bottom side Hamilton Athletic.

In a game, the Blues’ second string will look to forget, the visitors went back to Taunton three goals to the good at 3-0.